Holy Cross Men's Tennis Falls 5-2 To Connecticut College In Season Opener
WORCESTER, Mass. – Senior Matt Wierzel (Garden City, N.Y.) started off just as he did last fall, winning his first fall match by topping Connecticut College's George King in straight sets at No. 1 singles as the Holy Cross men's tennis team picked up a loss in its season opener, 5-2, against Connecticut College at the Holy Cross Tennis Courts. The decision gives the Crusaders a record of 0-1 on the season while the Camels collect a 1-0 record.
Following suit with Wierzel was freshman Ryan Sullivan (Medford, Mass.), who picked up the second and final point for Holy Cross, winning in his collegiate debut, 6-1, 6-4, at No. 5 singles against the Camels' Chris Hakusui. Wierzel and Sullivan also won their match at No. 1 doubles, beating out Craig Stanton and King for the final Holy Cross win in the contest.
Also making collegiate debuts for the Crusaders were freshmen Chris Brosnan (Garden City, N.Y.), who lost in the No. 3 singles spot, and Connor McCann (Centerville, Mass.), who played with sophomore Scot Brownell (Plymouth, Mass.) in No. 3 doubles.
Holy Cross will continue fall action on Wednesday, Sept. 15 against Merrimack. Matches are set to begin at 3:30 p.m. at the Holy Cross Tennis Courts in Worcester, Mass.
1. Matt Wierzel/Ryan Sullivan (HC) def. Craig Stanton/George King (CC), 9-7
2. Henry Friedman/Chris Hakusui (CC) def. Chris Brosnan/Chris Das (HC) 8-2
3. Colin Tasi/Mike Decorato (CC) def. Scot Brownell/Connor McCann (HC) 8-5
1. Wierzel (HC) def. King (CC), 6-3, 6-1
2. Stanton (CC) def. Das (HC), 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
3. Tasi (CC) def. Brosnan (HC), 6-1, 6-3
4. Friedman (CC) def. Brownell (HC), 6-1, 6-4
5. Ryan Sullivan (HC) def. Hakusui (CC), 6-1, 6-4
6. Marshall Collins (CC) def. Ajeya Shekar (HC), 6-3, 6-4