Overall Record: 5-14 (0-3 Patriot League);
Last Week: 0-1
Scoreboard: Navy 4, Holy Cross 0, Lewisburg, Pa., 4/23 (Patriot League Tournament)
Schedule: Season has completed.
- The Holy Cross men's tennis team completed the 2009-2010 season after falling to the No. 2 seed Navy in the 2010 Patriot League Tournament first round, held in Lewisburg, Pa. on Friday, April 23. The Midshipmen went on to win the tournament, topping Army, 4-2. Due to league rules the first team to four points wins the match, as Navy earned two victories in doubles play for the doubles point and then three-straight wins at No. 1, No. 2 and No. 3 singles. The rest of the matches did not finish. The team's regular No. 1 singles player, junior Matt Wierzel (Garden City, N.Y.), was unable to compete due to injury.
- The Crusaders finish the 2009-2010 season with an overall record of 5-14, going 0-3 against Patriot League foes. The team earned three victories this spring, picking up wins over Springfield, AIC and Hartford. The team went 2-3 in the fall, earning victories over Hartford and Nichols.
- The team's three seniors, John Burke (Burlington, Mass.), Dan Phelan (Chicopee, Mass.), and Tom Steinert (Rockville Centre, N.Y.) finished their final season with a combined record of 5-41 in singles play. Wierzel will return as the only senior on the team next season, as he posted the team's best record of 18-11 in singles play this year. He was named Patriot League Player of the Month for the first time in his career over the fall portion of the season.
- The sophomore class combined for a record 19-30 in singles play as Chris Das (Melrose, Mass.), the team's mainstay at No. 4 singles, recorded a career-best nine victories overall. Newcomer Tim Regan (Rockville Centre, N.Y.) and Ajeya Shekar (Shrewsbury, Mass.) tallied a total of 10 wins. Freshman Scot Brownell (Plymouth, Mass.) earned legitimate playing time for the Crusaders as well, rounding out his first-year campaign with a record of 5-6 in singles play.
- As a whole, the Crusaders rounded out the season with 48 wins in singles play and 12 wins in doubles matches. The doubles tandem of Phelan and Das marked the most wins, going 5-10 in doubles play.
- Head coach Evan Gaudreau registered a 5-14 record in his first season at the helm of the program.