WORCESTER, Mass. – Sophomores Chris Das (Melrose, Mass) and Tim Regan (Rockville Centre, N.Y.) earned singles victories, but it was not enough, as the Holy Cross men's tennis team fell against Nichols, 5-2, in a make-up match at the Holy Cross Tennis Courts. With the decision, the Crusaders finish the regular season with a 5-13 overall record as the Bison collect a record of 13-5.
Nichols earned the doubles point first, sweeping all three matches. Holy Cross junior Matt Wierzel (Garden City, N.Y.) would then discontinue the No. 1 singles match due to injury, giving the point to the Bison. Das followed with the first point for the Crusaders, winning in the No. 4 spot, 6-1, 6-3. Regan then picked up the second point at No. 5 singles, 6-4, 6-0 to earn his fifth singles win of the season.
The Crusaders would fall in the No. 2 and No. 3 spots before freshman Scot Brownell (Plymouth, Mass.) battled for a win at No. 6, but eventually fell in three sets, 6-4, 4-6, 6-0. With the doubles point and four singles wins, Nichols outlasted Holy Cross by the final score of 5-2.
Holy Cross will compete in the Patriot League Tournament next, beginning on Friday, April 23. As of right now the Crusaders are seeded at No. 7 and will play against the No. 2 seed Navy. The tournament is hosted by Bucknell with matches being played at the Varsity Tennis Courts in Lewisburg, Pa.
1. Justin DeLuca/TylerMcLaughlin (NC) def. Matt Wierzel/Scot Brownell (HC) – 8-1
2. Stephen Carella/Daniel Young (NC) def. Dan Phelan/John Burke (HC) – 8-4
3. Eliot Wuhrmann/David Drucker (NC) def. Ajeya Shekar/Jeff Paadre (HC) – 8-3
1. DeLuca (NC) def. Wierzel (HC); 6-0, DNF (injury)
2. Drucker (NC) def. Burke (HC); 6-4, 6-2
3. Carella (NC) def. Phelan (HC); 6-5, 6-4
4. Das (HC) def. McLaughlin (NC); 6-1, 6-3
5. Tim Regan (HC) def. Wuhrmann (NC); 6-4, 6-0
6. Young (NC) def. Brownell (HC); 6-4, 4-6, 6-0