Men's Tennis Beats Out Hartford, 4-3
WORCESTER, Mass. – Freshman Scot Brownell (Plymouth, Mass.) was the deciding factor, winning in three sets at No. 6 singles to boost the Holy Cross men's tennis team to a 4-3 win against Hartford at the Holy Cross Tennis Courts. With the decision, the Crusaders tally a 3-7 record in spring competition, going to 5-10 overall as the Hawks collect a record of 2-10.
Hartford took the doubles point first, taking two of three matches. Holy Cross’ No. 3 team of sophomore Ajeya Shekar (Shrewsbury, Mass.) and Brownell would pick up the lone win, topping Hartford’s Edgardo Ureta and Aaron Kooden 8-1.
Holy Cross’ No.1, No. 4 and No. 5 singles picked up wins. Junior Matt Wierzel (Garden City, N.Y.) won his No. 1 match in straight sets, 6-2, 6-3. Sophomore Chris Das (Melrose, Mass.) followed with another straight set victory, 6-1, 6-4 in the No. 4 spot. Fellow sophomore Tim Regan (Rockville Centre, N.Y.) gave the team its third point to tie the match score, winning 6-4, 6-0 at No. 5. It was Brownell, who lost his first set 6-2 but rallied back to win the next two sets, 6-3, 6-2, who gave the Crusaders the crucial fourth point, securing his team’s 4-3 victory over the Hawks.
Holy Cross will play at Bryant next on Saturday, April 10. Matches are set to begin at 2:00 p.m. at the Bryant Tennis Complex in Smithfield, R.I.
1. Aneil Bhalla/Marco Neves (HARTFORD) def. Matt Wierzel/John Burke (HC) – 8-4
2. Josh Isaacson/Eric Floum (HARTFORD) def. Chris Das/Dan Phelan (HC) – 8-3
3. Ajeya Shekar/Scot Brownell (HC) def. Edgardo Ureta/Aaron Kooden(HARTFORD) – 8-1
1. Wierzel (HC) def. Bhalla (HARTFORD); 6-2, 6-3
2. Josh Isaacson (HARTFORD) def. Burke (HC); 6-3, 6-3
3. Neves (HARTFORD) def. Phelan (HC); 6-1, 6-5
4. Das (HC) def. Floum (HARTFORD); 6-1, 6-4
5. Tim Regan (HC) def. Ureta (HARTFORD); 6-4, 6-0
6. Brownell (HC) def. Kooden (HARTFORD); 2-6, 6-3, 6-2