WORCESTER, Mass. – The Holy Cross men's tennis team changed up its normal six man singles rotation and doubles teams against AIC and it paid off as the squad won five of six singles matches, winning by the final score of 6-1 at the Holy Cross Tennis Courts. With the final, the Crusaders tally a 2-7 record in spring competition, going to 4-10 overall as the Yellow Jackets move to 1-4 overall.
The Crusaders started strong, picking up the doubles point after winning two of three matches. Senior John Burke (Burlington, Mass.) and freshman Scot Brownell (Plymouth, Mass.) teamed up for the first time at No. 1 doubles, topping AIC’s Leo Santos and Robert Lubold, 8-4 to start. Sophomore Chris Das (Melrose, Mass.) and freshman Jeff Paadre (Sutton, Mass.) played together for the second consecutive match at No. 2 doubles and won 9-8 to finalize the team’s double point.
Brownell would also pick up a point for the team in his debut at No. 3 singles, posting a 6-1, 6-1 victory over Santos. Sophomore Ajeya Shekar (Shrewsbury, Mass.), playing at No. 4 singles for the first time this season, tallied the second singles win of the day, beating out AIC’s Alex Touhey 6-3, 6-1. Fellow sophomore Tim Regan (Rockville Centre, N.Y.) followed suit at No. 2 singles, topping Robert Lubold 6-3, 6-4, for his first career win in the No. 2 spot.
The team continued to mark big wins as freshman Tom Casavant (New Canaan, Conn.), playing in his first collegiate match, won a three-set tiebreaker at No. 6 singles, 6-3, 1-6, 10-6. Das also played in an intense three-set match, tallying the fifth singles win by scores of 6-3, 4-6, 10-7. With the win, he picks up the first win of his career at No. 1 singles. In all, the Crusaders took five of the six singles matches to collect the final 6-1 win over the Yellow Jackets.
Holy Cross will host Hartford next on Wednesday, April 7. Matches are set to begin at 3:30 p.m. at the Holy Cross Tennis Courts in Worcester, Mass.
1. John Burke/Scot Brownell (HC) def. Leo Santos/Robert Lubold (AIC) – 8-4
2. Chris Das/Jeff Paadre (HC) def. Jakub Simicek/Mike Little (AIC) – 9-8
3. Alex Touhey/Jake Anderson (AIC) def. Nick Tasca/Tom Casavant (HC) – 9-7
1. Das (HC) def. Simicek (AIC) - 6-3, 4-6, 10-7
2. Tim Regan (HC) def. Lubold (AIC) - 6-3, 6-4
3. Brownell (HC) def. Santos (AIC) - 6-1, 6-1
4. Ajeya Shekar (HC) def. Touhey (AIC) - 6-3, 6-1
5. Little (AIC) def. Dan Sheehan (HC) - 6-1, 4-6, 6-10
6. Tom Casavant (HC) def. Brett Barry (AIC) – 6-3, 1-6, 10-6