WEST POINT, N.Y. – The Holy Cross men's tennis team could not pick up a victory against Lafayette at West Point's Lichtenberg Tennis Center, falling 7-0 in the second of three days for Patriot League action. With the loss, the Crusaders tally a 1-6 record in spring competition, going to 3-9 overall, 0-2 in the Patriot League. The Leopards mark an even 5-5 overall record, 1-1 Patriot League.
The Leopards took all three doubles matches to start. The No. 3 tandem of sophomore Ajeya Shekar (Shrewsbury, Mass.) and freshman Scot Brownell (Plymouth, Mass.) would put up the biggest battle, but dropped their match 8-4.
The Crusaders continued to struggle, as each singles player would fall in straight sets. Junior Matt Wierzel (Garden City, N.Y.) and senior John Burke (Burlington, Mass.) won the most games for the team as Wierzel fell 6-2, 6-3 at No. 1 and then a 6-3, 6-2 loss by Burke at No. 2.
Holy Cross will wrap up its three-day stretch of Patriot League play tomorrow, March 28, taking on Lehigh. The match will begin at 1:00 p.m. at the Lichtenberg Tennis Center in West Point, N.Y.
1. Eric Wiley/Doug Gallagher (LAF) def. Matt Wierzel/John Burke (HC) – 8-3
2. Murphy/Andrew Morris (LAF) def. Dan Phelan/Chris Das (HC) – 8-3
3. MacLelland/Gelbman(LAF) def. Ajeya Shekar/Scot Brownell (HC) – 8-4
1. Wiley (LAF) def. Wierzel (HC); 6-2, 6-3
2. Gallagher (LAF) def. Burke (HC); 6-3, 6-2
3. Steven Benezra (LAF) def. Phelan (HC); 6-0, 6-2
4. Justin Haar (LAF) def. Das (HC); 6-0, 6-1
5. Gelbman (LAF) def. Tim Regan (HC); 6-2, 6-1
6. James Murphy (LAF) def. Shekar (HC); 6-3, 6-1