WEST POINT, N.Y. – The Holy Cross men's tennis team got into trouble early against Army, falling by the eventual 7-0 final at West Point's Lichtenberg Tennis Center. With the loss, the Crusaders tally a 1-5 record in spring competition, going to 3-8 overall, 0-1 in the Patriot League. The Black Knights mark a 9-6 overall record, 4-0 Patriot League.
The Crusaders could not pick up a doubles point, dropping all three matches. The No. 1 duo of junior Matt Wierzel (Garden City, N.Y.) and John Burke (Burlington, Mass.) came the closest to a win, picking up four points but falling 8-4.
Army continued to prove to be too much for Holy Cross, as they swept all six singles matches. Wierzel would put up a fight at No. 1 singles, but fell in straight sets, 6-2, 6-2. Sophomore Tim Regan (Rockville Centre, N.Y.) followed suit at No. 5 singles, falling 6-2, 6-2. The rest of the team would drop their respective matches in straight sets as well.
Holy Cross will continue Patriot League play tomorrow, March 27, taking on Lafayette. The match will begin at 3:00 p.m. at the Malek Courts in West Point, N.Y.
1. Chris Albornoz/Johnny Lucero (ARMY) def. Matt Wierzel/John Burke (HC) – 8-4
2. Dan Shaffer/Bruno Lucivero (ARMY) def. Dan Phelan/Chris Das (HC) – 8-2
3. Andrew Clark/Alex Holland (ARMY) def. Ajeya Shekar/Scot Brownell (HC) –
1. Johnson (ARMY) def. Wierzel (HC); 6-2, 6-2
2. Albornoz (ARMY) def. Burke (HC); 6-3, 6-0
3. Holland (ARMY) def. Phelan (HC); 6-0, 6-2
4. Clark (ARMY) def. Das (HC); 6-1, 6-2
5. Lucivero (ARMY) def. Tim Regan (HC); 6-2, 6-2
6. Shaffer (ARMY) def. Brownell (HC); 6-0, 6-1