Mass. – Freshman Scot Brownell
Mass.) won his first career
singles match in a dual meet, lifting the Holy Cross men's tennis
team to a 5-4 victory against Springfield at the Appleton
Tennis Courts. With the win, the Crusaders notch a 1-4 record in
spring competition, going to 3-7 overall on the 2009-2010 season
while the Pride collect a 2-6 overall record.
The Crusaders switched the No. 2 and No. 3 doubles teams around, with the tandem of sophomore Ajeya Shekar (Shrewsbury, Mass.) and Brownell playing at the No. 2 spot and senior Dan Phelan (Chicopee, Mass.) and sophomore Chris Das (Melrose, Mass.) competing at No. 3. The trade paid off as Shekar and Brownell won their match, 8-6, while Phelan and Das won, 9-7, giving Holy Cross the doubles point.
Three Holy Cross players picked up their first wins of the spring to earn the winning margin for the squad. Brownell won at No. 6 singles, 3-6, 6-4, 6-2. Junior Matt Wierzel (Garden City, N.Y.) tallied a clutch win at No. 1 singles, winning in three sets, 7-5, 4-6, 6-3. Sophomore Tim Regan (Rockville Centre, N.Y.) would be the deciding factor, marking another three-set victory at No. 5 singles, 2-6, 6-4, 6-3.
Holy Cross will open up Patriot League play next, traveling to West Point, N.Y. to take on three conference foes this weekend. The first set of matches will be against Army, held on Friday, March 26 starting at 3:00 p.m.
1. Trevor Romanzi/Tim Tunis (SC) def. Matt Wierzel/John Burke (HC) – 8-6
2. Ajeya Shekar/Scot Brownell (HC) def. Benjamin Burnap/Kevin Leahy (SC) – 8-6
3. Dan Phelan/Chris Das (HC) Jesse Boyd/Zach O’Leary (SC) - 9-7
1. Wierzel (HC) def. Romanzi (SC) – 7-5, 4-6, 6-3
2. Tunis (SC) def. Burke (HC) – 6-4, 6-2
3. Burnap (SC) def. Phelan (HC) – 7-6, 3-6, 6-0
4. O’Leary (SC) def. Das (HC) – 6-4, 6-1
5. Tim Regan (HC) def. Eric Henne (SC) def – 2-6, 6-4, 6-3
6. Brownell (HC) def. Doug Nickerson (SC) – 3-6, 6-4, 6-2