BOSTON, Mass. – The doubles tandem of senior Dan Phelan (Chicopee, Mass.) and sophomore Chris Das (Melrose, Mass.) picked up their first victory of the spring, but could not lift their team to a dual-match win, as the Holy Cross men's tennis team fell against Boston University at TTC Infield. With the loss the Crusaders gather a 0-4 record in spring competition, going to 2-7 overall on the 2009-2010 season while the Terriers move to 3-7 overall.
Holy Cross picked up one out of three doubles victories as Phelan and Das topped the tandem of Bill Krig and Alex Green, 8-3. The win gives Phelan and Das their fourth win of the season at No. 2 doubles.
Boston University took the upper hand in singles play, however, earning victories in all matches. Junior Matt Wierzel (Garden City, N.Y.) won his first set of the spring season, 6-4, but then fell in the next two sets, 6-2, 6-2 against Josh Friedman. Das moved back into the No. 4 spot, but dropped a 6-1, 6-1 decision to James Bernstein.
Holy Cross will play its second consecutive in-state competitor Springfield next on March 24, 2010. Matches are set for 3:30 p.m. at the Appleton Tennis Courts in Springfield, Mass.
1. Josh Friedman/James Bernstein (BU) def. Matt Wierzel/John Burke (HC) – 8-1
2. Dan Phelan/Chris Das (HC) def. Bill Kring/Alex Green (BU) – 8-3
3. Marcus Vanberkel/Alex Hallenbeck (BU) def. Ajeya Shekar/Scot Brownell (HC) - 8-2
1. Friedman (BU) def. Wierzel (HC) – 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
2. Hallenbeck (BU) def. Burke (HC) – 6-1, 6-1
3. Kring (BU) def. Phelan (HC) – 6-2, 6-2
4. James Bernstein (BU) def. Das (HC) – 6-1, 6-1
5. Regis Chang (BU) def. Tim Regan (HC) – 6-1-6-1
6. Anders Rathlev (BU) def. Shekar (HC) – 6-2, 6-0