HAMDEN, Conn. – The Holy Cross men's tennis team was unable to pick up a win in eight total matches, as Quinnipiac swept the Crusaders 7-0 at the Quinnipiac tennis courts. The match gives the team a 0-3 record in spring competition, going to 2-6 overall on the 2009-2010 season.
The top four Holy Cross singles players fell in the day’s action. Junior Matt Wierzel (Garden City, N.Y.) could not break into the win column on the spring season, falling at No. 1 singles, 6-1, 6-1. Senior John Burke (Burlington, Mass.) dropped a 6-2, 6-1 decision at No. 2 while fellow senior Dan Phelan (Chicopee, Mass.) fell 6-0, 6-0 in the No. 3 spot. Sophomore Tim Regan (Rockville Centre, N.Y.) mustered four games in the first set in his first match at No. 4, but eventually fell 6-4, 6-0.
Sophomore Chris Das (Melrose, Mass.), now playing at the No. 5 singles spot, lost in straight sets, 6-1, 6-0. Fellow sophomore Ajeya Shekar (Shrewsbury, Mass.) rounded out the day’s singles action for Holy Cross, falling 6-3, 6-2. Quinnipiac picked up the doubles point as well after sweeping all three matches.
Holy Cross will play in-state competitor Springfield next on March 24, 2010. Matches are set for 3:30 p.m. at the Appleton Tennis Courts in Springfield, Mass.
1. Brian Mikkelson/James Kwei (QU) def. Matt Wierzel/John Burke (HC) – 8-1
2. John Hughes/Andrew Weeden (QU) def. Dan Phelan/Chris Das (HC) – 8-1
3. Charles Feldman/Dillon Kraus (QU) def. Ajeya Shekar/Scot Brownell (HC) - 8-2
1. Hughes (QU) def. Wierzel (HC) – 6-0, 6-2
2. Weeden (QU) def. Burke (HC) – 6-2, 6-1
3. Kwei (QU) def. Phelan (HC) – 6-0, 6-0
4. Alex Lazerowich (QU) def. Tim Regan (HC) – 6-4, 6-0
5. Chris Nelson (QU) def. Chris Das (HC) – 6-1-6-0
6. Justin Gerstl (QU) def. Shekar (HC) – 6-3, 6-2