Men's Tennis Swept 7-0 By Sacred Heart
NEW HAVEN, Conn. - The Holy Cross men's tennis team's losing streak continued against Sacred Heart as the squad fell 7-0 at the Yale Tennis Complex. The competition gives the team a 0-2 record in spring competition, going to 2-5 overall on the 2009-2010 season.
Sophomore Tim Regan (Rockville Centre, N.Y.) made his spring season debut at No. 4 singles and was able to keep his sets close with Sacred Heart's Chad Sullo, but fell by the final 6-3, 6-4 decision. Freshman Scot Brownell (Plymouth, Mass.) also made his debut at No. 6 singles for Holy Cross, but was topped in straight sets 6-0, 6-1 against Cole Conrad.
Sacred Heart finished the match with a full sweep for the second time in three meetings against the Crusaders. Junior Matt Wierzel (Garden City, N.Y.) dropped his second-consecutive decision this spring at No. 1 singles, losing 6-1, 6-0 against Kirill Kasyanov. All three Sacred Heart doubles teams topped the Crusaders as the No. 1 combo of Wierzel and senior John Burke (Burlington, Mass.) fall to 0-2 in spring doubles competition as well, losing an 8-3 decision to Adam Gart and Mike Syer.
Holy Cross will take two weeks off from competition before traveling to play Quinnipiac on March 14. Matches are set to begin at 2:00 p.m. in Hamden, Conn.
1. Adam Gart/Mike Syer (SH) def. Matt Wierzel/John Burke (HC) - 8-3
2. Jake Miller/Nick Mazzerese (SH) def. Dan Phelan/Chris Das (HC)- 8-3
3. John Harvey/Kirill Kasyanov (SH) def. Ajeya Shekar/Scot Brownell (HC) - 8-2
1. Kayanov (SH) def. Wierzel (HC) - 6-1, 6-0
2. Chris Ujkic (SH) def. Burke (HC) - 6-1, 6-1
3. Syer (SH) def. Phelan (HC) - 6-3, 6-3
4. Chad Sullo (SH) def. Tim Regan (HC) - 6-3, 6-4
5. Jinal Shah (SH) def. Chris Das (HC) - 6-0-6-1
6. Cole Conrad (SH) def. Brownell (HC) - 6-0, 6-1