Overall Record: 2-4 (0-0 PL)
Last Week: 0-1
Scoreboard: Coast Guard 7, Holy Cross 2, New London, Conn., 2/13
Schedule: Saturday, Feb. 20, vs. Sacred Heart, New Britain, Conn., 6:00 p.m.
- The Holy Cross men's tennis team continues its spring season with a match against Sacred Heart on Saturday, Feb. 20. The match will be held at a neutral location as the teams will match-up at the Yale Tennis Complex in New Haven, Conn. beginning at 6:00 p.m.
- The Crusaders and Pioneers have competed in each of the last five seasons, with Sacred Heart taking three of the five contests. Holy Cross has not posted a point against the Pioneers in the last two meetings, falling 7-0 in each match.
- Senior John Burke (Burlington, Mass.) is the only member on the 2009-2010 Holy Cross roster to earn a victory in singles competition against the Pioneers. On Feb. 25, 2007, Burke topped Sacred Heart's Joe Merendino, 6-2, 6-2 at No. 2 singles. Burke also earned a doubles victory that day and remains part of the last doubles team to pick up a win against Sacred Heart. Burke and former player Brendan McElhenny won their match 8-2 that day. Burke looks to break into the win columns in dual matches Saturday as he currently stands at 0-6 as the team's No. 2 singles player.
- Sophomore Ajeya Shekar (Shrewsbury, Mass.) looks to continue his winning streak at No. 6 singles on Feb. 20. After playing in five matches as the No. 5 singles player over the fall, Shekar played in his first match at No. 6 singles against Coast Guard this past weekend. He came away with the only singles win for Holy Cross, topping Coast Guard's Matt Faha; 6-7 (5-7), 6-1 and then 10-8 in the tiebreaker.
- Also notching a first-time victory was the No. 3 doubles tandem of Shekar and freshman Scot Brownell (Plymouth, Mass.). The duo, which entered the Coast Guard contest at 0-1 in the No. 3 doubles spot, tallied the second point for Holy Cross as they defeated Vince Falco and Cody Isaacson 9-7.