Men's Tennis Falls At Coast Guard 7-2
NEW LONDON, Conn. - Sophomore Ajeya Shekar (Shrewsbury, Mass.) won the lone singles match for the Crusaders as the Holy Cross men's tennis team fell to Coast Guard, 7-2 at the Coast Guard Tennis Courts. The competition gives the team a 0-1 record to start the spring slate, going to 2-4 overall on the 2009-2010 season.
Shekar, who played at No. 6 singles, took three sets to top Coast Guard's Matt Faha; 6-7 (5-7), 6-1 and then 10-8 in the tiebreaker. Shekar then teamed up with freshman Scot Brownell (Plymouth, Mass) at No. 3 doubles, earning a 9-7 win to round out the Crusaders victories on the day.
Greg Mitchell, Chris Pappe, Blake Maurer and Nick Martin went undefeated on the afternoon for Coast Guard. The Bears took the No. 1 and No. 2 doubles matches and won five of the six singles contests. Holy Cross has lost four straight matches to Coast Guard and five of the last six in the series.
Holy Cross will continue spring competition against Sacred Heart on Saturday, Feb. 20. Matches are set to begin at 6:00 p.m. at the Cullman-Heyman Tennis Center in New Haven, Conn.
1. Greg Mitchell/Chris Pappe (CG) def. Matt Wierzel/John Burke (HC) - 8-5
2. Nick Martin/Blake Maurer (CG) def. Dan Phelan/Chris Das (HC) - 8-2
3. Ajeya Shekar/Scot Brownell (HC) def. Vince Falco/Isaacson (CG) - 9-7
1. Mitchell (CG) def. Wierzel (HC) - 6-2, 6-3
2. Martin (CG) def. Burke (HC) - 6-0, 6-0
3. Pappe (CG) def. Phelan (HC) - 6-1, 6-4
4. Maurer (CG) def. Das (HC) - 6-0, 6-0
5. Falco (CG) def. Brownell (HC) - 6-4, 7-6 (7-5)
6. Shekar (HC) def. Matt Faha (CG) - 6-7 (5-7), 6-1, 10-8