Men's Tennis Drops Home Match To Merrimack, 4-2
WORCESTER, Mass. - In the first home event of the fall season, the men's tennis team couldn't hold off the Merrimack Warriors falling in a close competition, 4-2, Thursday at the Holy Cross Tennis Courts. With the loss, Holy Cross moves to 2-3 in dual-matches while Merrimack remains undefeated at 3-0.
Picking up wins for the Crusaders was junior Matt Wierzel (Garden City, N.Y.) who beat sophomore Max Eppley in straight sets, 6-1, 6-3. Sophomore Chris Das (Melrose, Mass.) out dueled Merrimack junior Liam Hoare in three sets, 6-3, 3-6, 6-3, to capture his fourth win on the season.
In doubles, Das and senior Dan Phelan (Chicopee, Mass.) topped the tandem of freshman Petar Golijian and junior Tim McHugh, 8-4. Merrimack won the other two doubles matches however, winning the team point.
Merrimack won the No. 2, No. 3 and No. 5 singles sets against Holy Cross seniors John Burke (Burlington, Mass.), Phelan and sophomore Ajeya Shekar (Shrewsbury, Mass.). The Warriors three singles victories, in addition to the doubles point, put them ahead by the final tally of 4-2 as the No. 6 singles match was called due to darkness.
Holy Cross wraps up its fall slate on Thursday, Oct. 16, competing against Boston University. Matches are set to begin at 4 p.m. on the Holy Cross Tennis Courts in Worcester, Mass.
1. Matt Wierzel (HC) def. Max Eppley (MC), 6-1, 6-3
2. Petar Golijanin (MC) def. John Burke (HC), 6-0, 6-1
3. Sean Pahler (MC) def. Dan Phelan (HC), 7-6, 6-2
4. Chris Das (HC) def. Liam Hoare (MC), 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
5. Tim McHugh (MC) def. Ajeya Shekar, 6-4, 6-3
6. Tim Regan (HC), Jon Ravenelle (MC), Not finished-darkness
1. Eppley/Pahler (MC) def. Wierzel/Burke (HC), 9-8
2. Das/Phelan (HC) def. Golijanin/McHugh (MC), 8-4
3. Hoare/Toegemann (MC) def. Shekar/Scot Brownell (HC), 8-6