HARTFORD, Conn. - The Holy Cross men's tennis team swept doubles play for the first time this season, lifting the squad past Hartford by a final 4-3 score Tuesday afternoon. The win moves Holy Cross to 2-2 on the season while Hartford falls to 0-3.
In doubles play, junior Matt Wierzel (Garden City, N.Y.) and John Burke (Burlington, Mass.) topped Josh Isaacson and Marco Neves 8-2 for their second win in dual-meets this season. Also picking up wins at doubles for the Crusaders were senior Dan Phelan (Chicopee, Mass.) and sophomore Chris Das (Melrose, Mass.) beating Aneil Bhalla and Edgardo Ureta, 9-7. At No. 3, sophomore Ajeya Shekar (Shrewsbury, Mass.) and senior Tom Steinert (Rockville Centre, N.Y.) picked up their first doubles win of the season, 8-6, against Eric Floum and Aaron Kooden.
Holy Cross won three of the six singles matches as Wierzel moved his unbeaten streak to 8-0 on the season, topping Bhalla 6-4, 6-1. Das moves to 3-1 at No. 4 singles this season after he picked up the team's second singles victory, 6-1, 6-4 against Floum. Sophomore Tim Regan (Rockville Centre, N.Y.) made his college debut a success against the Hawks to round out singles play. Playing at No. 6, Regan beat out Kooden 6-4, 6-1.
The men's tennis season rolls on as the squad competes in the Connecticut Invitational for the first time since the 2007 season, starting Friday, Sept. 25. Competition begins at 9:00 a.m. in Storrs, Conn. and continues until Sunday, Sept. 27.
1. Matt Wierzel/John Burke (HC) def. Josh Isaacson/Marco Neves (HARTFORD) - 8-2
2. Dan Phelan/Chris Das (HC) def. Aneil Bhalla/Edgardo Ureta (HARTFORD) - 9-7
3. Ajeya Shekar/Tom Steinert (HC) def. Eric Floum/Aaron Kooden (HARTFORD) - 8-6
1. Wierzel (HC) def. Bhalla (HARTFORD) - 6-4, 6-1
2. Isaacson (HARTFORD) def. Burke (HC) - 6-1, 6-3
3. Neves (HARTFORD) def. Phelan (HC) - 6-1, 5-7, 6-4
4. Das (HC) def. Floum (HARTFORD) - 6-1, 6-4
5. Ureta (HARTFORD) def. Shekar (HC) - 6-2, 7-5
6. Tim Regan (HC) def. Aaron Kooden (HARTFORD) 6-4, 6-1