DUDLEY, Mass. - Four of six Holy Cross players
won their singles matches Saturday afternoon as the Holy Cross
men's tennis team picked up their first victory of the fall season,
6-3, against Nichols at the Francis W. Robinson Courts. The win
evens the Crusaders record at 1-1 on the season while Nichols falls
to 0-1 overall.
Junior Matt Wierzel (Garden City, N.Y.) continued his unbeaten streak in singles play, topping Stephen Carella in straight sets, 6-1, 6-1. Wierzel now has seven total victories this season as he and senior John Burke (Burlington, Mass.) also won their doubles match against Carella and Justin Deluca, 8-5.
Also picking up points for the Crusaders were the doubles team of senior Dan Phelan (Chicopee, Mass.) and sophomore Chris Das (Melrose, Mass.), who won their match 9-8 (7-5). Phelan also topped Tyler McLaughlin in singles play, 6-1, 6-4. Das won his singles match-up against Dan Young, 2-6, 6-2, 7-6 (7-2).
Sophomore A.J. Shekar (Shrewsbury, Mass.) picked up his first win of the season to round out the day for Holy Cross, beating out Eliot Wurhman 7-5, 6-4. With his match, the Crusaders finished with the 6-3 victory.
Holy Cross will continue fall action in its third dual-match of the season against Siena on Sunday, Sept. 20. Matches are set to begin at 11:00 a.m. at Central Park in Schenectady, N.Y.
Holy Cross-6, Nichols-3
1. Matt Wierzel/John Burke (HC) def. Stephen Carella/Justin Deluca (NC) 8-5
2. Dan Phelan/Chris Das (HC) def. Dan Young/Eliot Wurmann (NC) 9-8 (7-5)
3. Tyler McLaughlin/Dan Saucier (NC) def. Tom Steinert/Dan Sheehan (HC) 8-4
1. Wierzel (HC) def. Carella (NC) 6-1, 6-1
2. DeLuca (NC) def. Burke (HC) 6-2, 6-1
3. Phelan (HC) def. McLaughlin (NC) 6-1, 6-4
4. Das (HC) def. Young (NC) 2-6, 6-2, 7-6(7-2)
5. A.J. Shekar (HC) def. Wuhrman (NC) 7-5, 6-4
6. Saucier (NC) def. Steinert (HC) 6-2, 6-4