NORTON, Mass. - Junior Matt Wierzel (Garden City, N.Y.) took on four other players to advance through and win the singles title of the Wheaton Invitational Sunday, Sept. 14 at the Clark Tennis Courts. With the title, Wierzel remains undefeated in singles play this season.
Wierzel won his first match, 8-0, against Adam Laithy of Bridgewater State. He then advanced past Sean Pahler of Merrimack 8-3 to earn a spot in the semi-finals. In the semi-finals, Wierzel defeated Gustav Norberg of Colby Sawyer in two straight sets, 6-0 and 6-4. The final match was set with Wheaton's No. 2 singles player Kyle Hudgins. Wierzel remained victorious as he won the championship title by the score 8-2.
In other tournament action, Tom Steinert (Rockville Center, N.Y.) and Dan Sheehan (Huntington, N.Y.) played as the No. 2 doubles team in the second doubles flight. They won their first match after a bye-round against Wheaton's Chapman Beckman and Brian Krantz, 8-6, advancing to the championship. The championship match was set against Tim McHugh and Jon Ravenelle from Merrimack. Merrimack topped Holy Cross to earn the doubles championship, 8-3.
Holy Cross will continue fall action in its second dual-match of the season against Siena on Sunday, Sept. 20. Matches are set to begin at 11:00 a.m. at Central Park in Schenectady, N.Y.
Singles Winner Bracket
1. Matt Wierzel (HC) def. Adam Laithy (Bridgewater) - 8-0
1. Matt Wierzel (HC) def. 2. Sean Pahler (Merrimack) - 8-3
1. Matt Wierzel (HC) def. Gutav Norberg (CSC) - 6-0, 6-4 (semi-finals)
1. Matt Wierzel (HC) def. 3. Kyle Hudgins (Wheaton) - 8-2 (championship)
3. Dan Phelan (HC) def. 2. Matt Mailhot (Bridgewater)- 8-6
1. Gustav Norberg def. 3. Dan Phelan (HC)- 8-3
3. Kyle Hudgins (Wheaton) def. 2. Jon Burke (HC)- 8-3
Singles Consolation Bracket
1. Neal Oliver (Wheaton) def. 2. Jon Burke (HC)- 8-4
Doubles Second Flight
1. Steinert/Sheehan def. Beekman/Krantz (Wheaton) - 8-6
1. McHugh/Ravenelle (Merrimack) def. Steinert/Sheehan (HC)- 8-3