Holy Cross Men's Tennis Drops Season Opener To Coast Guard, 7-2
Conn. - Four Coast Guard players won both
their singles and doubles matches as the Holy Cross men's tennis
team lost their season opener, 7-2, to the Bears on Saturday
afternoon. The loss drops the Crusaders to 0-1 on the season while
Coast Guard improves to 1-0 overall.
The Crusaders picked up both their victories in singles competition. Junior Matt Wierzel (Garden City, N.Y.) defeated Nick Martin in straight sets, 6-1, 6-3, in No. 1 singles. Sophomore Chris Das (Melrose, Mass.) was victorious in straight sets over Wesley Figaro, 6-2, 6-2, in No. 4 singles.
Greg Mitchell, Chris Pappe, Blake Maurer and Shaun Wilson went undefeated on the afternoon for Coast Guard. The Bears swept all three doubles matches and won four of the six singles contests. Holy Cross has lost three straight matches to Coast Guard and four of the last five in the series.
Holy Cross returns to action Sunday, Sept. 13 when it travels to the Wheaton Invitational in Norton, Mass. The matches are set to begin at 10:00 a.m.
1. Matt Wierzel (HC) def. Nick Martin (CGA) - 6-1, 6-3
2. Greg Mitchell (CGA) def. John Burke (HC) - 6-1, 6-0
3. Chris Pappe (CGA) def. Dan Phelan (HC) - 6-2, 6-2
4. Chris Das (HC) def. Wesley Figaro (CGA) - 6-2, 6-2
5. Blake Maurer (CGA) def. A.J. Shekar (HC) - 6-3, 6-1
6. Shaun Wilson (CGA) def. Dan Sheehan (HC) - 6-2, 6-0
1. Mitchell/Pappe (CGA) def. Wierzel/Burke (HC) - 9-8 (7-5)
2. Martin/Figaro (CGA) def. Phelan/Das (HC) - 8-5
3. Maurer/Wilson (CGA) def. Shekar/Sheehan (HC) - 8-0