Schedule: Saturday, Sept. 12 vs. Coast Guard, Worcester, Mass., 9:00 a.m.
- The Holy Cross men's tennis team opens its season when it hosts Coast Guard on Saturday, Sept. 12 at 9:00 a.m., on the Holy Cross Tennis Courts. The Bears have won the last two contests in the series, as they defeated the Crusaders twice last season, first by a score of 6-3 in the first match on Sept. 13, 2008 and by a 6-1 tally on Feb. 14, 2009. This match will also be the opener for Coast Guard this season. The last Holy Cross victory in the series came on Sept. 22, 2007, when the Crusaders posted a 4-3 win.
- Holy Cross will rely on three seniors for leadership and experience as they look to improve on last year's 4-14 record. John Burke (Burlington, Mass.) returns alongside Dan Phelan (Chicopee, Mass.) and Tom Steinert (Rockville Centre, N.Y.). Burke finished the season 2-18 overall in singles matches and 4-14 in doubles action. Phelan completed the season with a 4-15 mark in singles and 3-13 in doubles. Steinert finished 2-4 last season in singles action.
- The roster is bolstered by junior Matt Wierzel (Garden City, N.Y.) and sophomores Chris Das (Melrose, Mass.), Dan Sheehan (Huntington, N.Y.) and Ajeya Shekar (Shrewsbury, Mass.).
- Holy Cross put seven players on the Patriot League Academic Honor Roll last season, the second-most of any team in the conference. Of the seven, Phelan, Das, Sheehan and Shekar have returned to Mount St. James. The other three were graduating seniors.
- Evan Gaudreau has taken over as head coach of the Holy Cross men's tennis team, after the resignation of Mike Lucas in July. Lucas went 39-80 with the men's team in 10 seasons at the helm. Gaudreau spent last season as an assistant coach at Holy Cross and brings over seven years of professional tennis teaching experiences to the job.