Scoreboard: Providence 171.5, Holy Cross 125.5, Worcester Mass., 1/25
Schedule: Saturday, Feb. 1 at Bryant University, Smithfield, R.I., 1:00 p.m.
- The Holy Cross men's swimming and diving team will look to rebound from its meet versus Providence as they travel to meet the Bulldogs of Bryant, another Rhode Island foe, on Saturday, Feb. 1 at 1:00 p.m.
- The Crusaders fell to Bryant at home 170-125 last season, but the event was rife with personal success. Sophomore Tyler Wright (Waterboro, Maine) recorded a first place finish in both the 100-yard butterfly and 200-yard individual medley. Senior Jan Yburan (Livingston, N.J.) finished first in the 100-yard backstroke while classmate Nick Videtti (Woodcliff Lake, N.J.) finished first in the three-meter dive and second in the one-meter dive.
- The Crusaders similarly had seven first place finishes in their meet with Providence (1/25) but still could not pull out the win, falling 171.5 to 125.5. Videtti led the team with first place finishes in both the three-meter and the one-meter dives, followed by junior Brendan Higgins (Summit, N.J.) who took second in both events. Yburan won the 100-yard backstroke while junior Jack Swain (West Hartford, Conn.) took first place in the 100-yard breaststroke. Freshman Andrew Higgins (New Canaan, Conn.) and W took first in the 200-yard breaststroke and 100-yard butterfly, respectively.
- Prior to the meet on Saturday, head coach Barry Parenteau and assistant coaches Wil Aybar and Ian Hennessey honored the team's eight seniors for their hard work and dedication to the men's swimming and diving team. The seniors include Ben Chelmow (Newton, Mass.), Zachary Cietek (Guilderland, N.Y.), Patrick Gibbons (Reston, Va.), Tim Liddy (Garden City, N.Y.), Kevin O'Connor (Ridgewood, N.J.), Anthony Russo (Stratford, Conn.), Videtti and Yburan. Click below to watch the video.
- Videtti was named ECAC Division 1 New England Men's Diver of the Week as well as Patriot League Male Diver of the Week for his performance in the Worcester City Championship (1/17-18). The senior finished first in both the one-meter and three-meter dives.
- The team recently returned home from its annual winter training trip, this year located in Key Largo, Fla. The team practiced at the Jacobs Aquatic Center from January 8-14. To read a blog about the team's training trip, click here.
- ADVANCE TICKETS for the upcoming Patriot League swimming and diving championship meet hosted by the Naval Academy are NOW AVAILABLE for purchase. Luxurious Lejeune Hall in Annapolis will be the site for the championship meet from Feb. 19-22. A coveted all-session pass is only $40, tickets to attend the individual trial heats are $10 while tickets to the final heat sessions are $12. These can all be purchased through the Navy Ticket Office either by phone at 1-800-US4-NAVY (1-800-874-6289) or by visiting the following link: http://bit.ly/1iDR7Hu. With the expansion of the Patriot League to 10 teams this year and the 1,000-seat capacity of Lejeune Hall, fans are encouraged to purchase their tickets in advance of the meet.
- Get all the latest news and results on the Holy Cross men's swimming and diving team sent directly to your email. To sign up for e-mail alerts go here: http://www.goholycross.com/list-signup.