|Overall:||0-0-0 (0-0-0 Patriot League)|
|Schedule:||Friday, Aug. 29 vs. Hartford, Worcester, Mass., 7:05 p.m.||Live stats
WORCESTER, Mass. – The Holy Cross men's soccer team is set to begin its 2014 season when it hosts Hartford on Friday, Aug. 29 at 7:05 p.m. at the Linda Johnson Smith Soccer Stadium.
COACH KOOLMAN ON PRESEASON AND THE SEASON-OPENER: "I think we are well on our way and are ready for the season," said Holy Cross head coach Marco Koolman. "We like where we are at the moment. After playing our scrimmages we are really excited to start the season for real."
CRUSADERS LOOKING TO CONTINUE MOMENTUM FROM STRONG 2013 SEASON:
- Holy Cross returns 15 letterwinners this fall, as seven freshmen have joined the team. The Crusaders finished the season with a 9-9-2 record and went 6-3-0 in the Patriot League, advancing to the Patriot League championship game. The Crusaders' nine overall wins were their most since going 9-5-5 in 2008, while their six Patriot League victories tied for their most all-time with the 2001 team which went 6-0-1 in league play. Holy Cross' 24 goals were its most since netting 26 in 2007 and its 25 goals allowed were its lowest since allowing 18 in 2009. The Crusaders have been picked fifth in the 2014 Patriot League Preseason Poll.
- The Hartford men's soccer team was picked second in the America East Preseason Poll. Last year, the Hawks went 13-4-4 (4-2-1 America East) and fell to No. 6 nationally ranked UMBC in the America East Tournament championship game. The 13 wins were the second most in the program's Division I era. Hartford has made it to the championship game in two of the last three seasons. Hartford shut out 11 opponents, the most in the program's DI era and held opponents to a school-record goals-against average of 0.81.
- The Hawks defeated the Crusaders last year in the season-opener by a 1-0 score at Al-Marzook Field at Alumni Stadium. This will be the first meeting in Worcester between the two teams since a 2-1 victory by the Crusaders on Sept. 27, 2005. The Crusaders are 6-20-2 all-time versus the Hawks.
- Holy Cross will be led this season by its four captains, seniors Michael Thompson (Cromwell, Conn.) and Will Bowers (Raleigh, N.C.) and juniors Luke Melody (Mansfield, Conn.) and Kevin Wright (McKinney, Texas).
- During his Holy Cross career, Thompson has started 19 games, posting two shutouts and 74 saves. Thompson has been a member of Student-Athlete Advisory Committee since 2012. He has been named to the Patriot League Academic Honor Roll in 2011, 2012 and 2013.
- Bowers has appeared in 46 career games making 20 starts and tallying five points. He has been a member of the Holy Cross Leadership Academy since 2012 and was named to the Patriot League Academic Honor Roll in 2011.
- Melody has started in all 36 career games with three goals and one assist for seven points. Last year, he earned third team All-Patriot League honors. He is a member of the Holy Cross Leadership Academy.
- Wright has played in 30 career games with 29 starts. He has made 139 saves and has a 1.26 goals against average. He earned several accolades last year as he was named to the Patriot League All-Tournament team, Crusader of the Week, ECAC Defensive Player of the Week and Patriot League Goalie of the Week. He is a member of the Holy Cross Leadership Academy.
- There are numerous ways to stay connected with the Holy Cross men's soccer team. Follow the Crusaders on Twitter @Crusader_Soccer, on Facebook and on Instagram. You can also keep updated with the team through its season blog by going here. You can also get the latest news and results on the team sent directly to your e-mail. To sign up for e-mail alerts go here: http://www.goholycross.com/list-signup.