Overall: 0-5-2 (0-0-0 PL); Last Week: 0-2-0
Scoreboard: No. 23 Providence 2, Holy Cross 0, Providence, R.I., 9/14
Rhode Island 2, Holy Cross 1, Kingston, R.I., 9/17
Schedule: Saturday, Sept. 24 at Army, West Point, N.Y., 7:00 p.m.
- The Holy Cross men's soccer team begins Patriot League action this week at Army and will take the week to practice and prepare. The contest against the Black Knights is set for Saturday, Sept. 24 starting at 7:00 p.m. It will be played on Clinton Field in West Point, N.Y.
- The Crusaders and Black Knights have played a total of 28 times in program history. Army holds the all-time series edge as they have won 15 of the contests. Holy Cross has won 12 times and they have tied once. The Crusaders are 3-1-1 in the last five meetings as the two played to 0-0 double overtime tie last season. Army is currently 2-5-0 in 2011 and will play at Bryant on Tuesday, Sept. 20 before hosting the Crusaders. The game will be the Black Knights' seventh home game of the season as they are 1-5-0 on Clinton Field.
- In the Patriot league rankings, the Black Knights are first in total shots taken with 119 thus far. The Crusaders rank seventh with 70 shots taken. Army is also first in corner kicks with 49 while Holy Cross ranks fourth with 41. Army's starting goalkeeper, John Marinelli, ranks fourth in individual league statistics with a 1.69 goals against average while freshman Michael Thompson (Cromwell, Conn.) ranks fifth with a 1.71 GAA.
- Holy Cross' winless streak has now reached seven games. The last time a Holy Cross team went longer than seven games without a win was in 2003. The 2003 team went 0-7-1 before earning their first victory. The team finished the season 2-10-5, including a 2-1-4 record in Patriot League play.
- Junior forward Steven Stefanak (Massapequa, N.Y.) collected his second career goal in the game against Rhode Island this past weekend. He connected with fellow sophomore Pat McCann (Rockville Centre, N.Y.), who tallied his first assist of the season and second in his career. Stefanak becomes the fourth different Crusader to score this season while McCann is the third player to earn an assist.