Men's Soccer Ready To Take On No. 23 Providence
Overall: 0-3-2 (0-0-0 PL); Last Week: 0-2-1
Scoreboard: Sacred Heart 1, Holy Cross 0, Worcester, Mass., 9/6
Temple 4, Holy Cross 1, Providence, R.I., 9/9
Holy Cross 2, George Mason 2 (2OT), Providence, R.I., 9/11
Schedule: Wednesday, Sept. 14 at No. 23 Providence, Providence, R.I., 3:00 p.m.
Saturday, Sept. 17 at Rhode Island, Kingston, R.I., 1:00 p.m.
- The Holy Cross men's soccer team continues action in the state of Rhode Island for two contests this upcoming week. The Crusaders take on the 23rd-ranked Providence Friars first on Wednesday, Sept. 14 at 3:00 p.m. The game will be held on Glay Field. The squad then plays at Rhode Island on the Rhode Island Soccer Complex this upcoming Saturday, Sept. 17. Start time is set for 1:00 p.m.
- The Crusaders have faced the Providence Friars 29 times in program history. Providence leads the series 18-7-4. Holy Cross has been shut out three of the last four contests with the Friars, losing by 1-0 scores. In 2008, the Crusaders tied PC at home, 1-1. Providence currently owns a 4-1 record on the season and has won its last four games, including a 1-0 win over common opponent Sacred Heart this past weekend.
- Holy Cross and Rhode Island have met nine times, with the Rams owning a 6-2-1 series advantage. Rhode Island reenters the Crusaders' schedule after 28 seasons. The teams last met on Oct. 31, 1983 in Kingston. The Crusaders lost, 2-1. Rhode Island is currently 2-4 on the 2011 season, topping Harvard 2-1 in its last time out.
- The Crusaders went 0-1-1 in action at the Brown Soccer Classic, held this past weekend. They broke their scoring drought, tallying one against Temple and then scoring two times against George Mason. Junior captain Pat McCann (Rockville Centre, N.Y.) and sophomore Tommy Uttaro (Staten Island, N.Y.) were named to the All-Tournament team.
- Sophomore Joshua Cintas (San Diego, Calif.) scored the squad's first goal of the year against Temple and then recorded an assist on a goal in the George Mason game, recording both his first career goal and assist. He led the team in points (three) and shots taken (six) on the week.