September 6, 2011
Crusaders Pick Up Fall Action With Three Contests
Overall: 0-1-1 (0-0-0 PL); Last Week: 0-0-1
Scoreboard: Holy Cross 0, Dartmouth 0 (2 OT), Worcester, Mass., 9/2
Schedule: Tuesday, Sept. 6 vs. Sacred Heart, Worcester, Mass., 9/6
Friday, Sept. 9 vs. Temple, Providence, R.I., 9/9
Sunday, Sept. 11 vs. George Mason, Providence, R.I., 9/11
- The Holy Cross men's soccer team season heats up with a home night contest against Sacred Heart on Tuesday, Sept. 6 at 7:00 p.m. and then appear in the Brown Soccer Classic, played from Friday, Sept. 9-Sunday, Sept. 11. The Crusaders will participate along with host Brown, Temple and George Mason. Holy Cross and Temple kick off the classic on Friday at 5:00 p.m. on Stevenson Field in Providence, R.I. The Crusaders wrap up tournament play on Sunday at 12:00 p.m. against George Mason.
- The Crusaders have faced the Sacred Heart Pioneers 11 times in program history. Holy Cross has won six of those contests but the Pioneers are on a two-game win streak heading into the Tuesday night bout. Holy Cross last won, 1-0, on Sept. 9, 2008 in Fairfield, Conn. The last three contests between the two have been decided by one goal as Sacred Heart has won the last two by a 1-0 tally. Sacred Heart is currently 1-1 on the season, winning against St. Peter's and losing to Columbia.
- This weekend's action will be the first time in program history that the Crusaders will go head-to-head with both the Temple Owls and the George Mason Patriots. The Owls enter Fridays contest with a 1-0 record, topping Patriot League opponent Lafayette 1-0 in their season opener. They were selected fourth in the Atlantic-10 preseason poll.
- The Patriots are now 2-1 on the season after defending the D.C. College Cup title with 3-0 victory over American on Saturday, Sept. 3. The team has outscored opponents 14-3 through its first five matches. They open up the Brown Classic with a 7:00 p.m. game against the host school before playing the Crusaders.
- Freshman goalkeeper Michael Thompson (Cromwell, Conn.) was named the AT&T Crusader of the Week, for competition from August 29-September 4. Thompson recorded the first shutout of his collegiate career for the Holy Cross men's soccer team in its only game last week. During Friday night's 0-0 double overtime tie against Dartmouth, Thompson played all 120 minutes in goal while recording the shutout. In two games played this season, Thompson has made seven saves while allowing just two goals in 200 minutes of action. He currently has an 0.90 goals against average and a .778 save percentage on the year.