Men's Soccer Plays To 2-2 Double Overtime Draw Against Bucknell

Tom Van Grinsven

WORCESTER, Mass. Senior Tom Van Grinsven (Chicago, Ill.) collected the game-tying goal with 54 seconds left in the second half as the Holy Cross men's soccer team played to a 2-2 double overtime draw against Bucknell in its Patriot League home opener at the Linda Johnson Smith Soccer Stadium. With the decision, the Crusaders collect a record of 3-6-2 (0-2-1 PL) while the Bison register a 4-6-1 (1-1-1 PL) record. Van Grinsven's goal was the third of his career and second on the season, a career-best.

Freshman Monty Sanders (Temecula, Calif.) gave the Crusaders a 1-0 halftime edge as he scored his first career goal at 16:01 on a shot from 25 yards out, assisted by fellow freshman Kevin O'Connell (Basking Ridge, N.J.). Holy Cross maintained the offensive force throughout the half, holding a 7-4 shots edge at the end of the first 45 minutes of play. Both goalies were impressive in the first half as well as sophomore Evan Polanik (Holliston, Mass.) made four saves on four shots on goal while Bucknell's Tommy Caso, who came in to replace starter Marc Hartman, made three saves.

Bucknell tied the score, 1-1, at 46:30 as Brendan Burgdorf kicked in his fourth goal of the season, assisted by Luke Joyner. Joyner then put the Bison ahead, 2-1, at 68:46 on a shot inside the box, assisted by CK Kumah. The teams volleyed the ball back and forth between both sides of the field until Holy Cross got its break after Bucknell was whistled on a foul with under a minute left to play in regulation. Van Grinsven then shot the ball past Caso after setting up the penalty kick, assisted by sophomore Pat McCann (Rockville Centre, N.Y.). McCann's assist was the first of the season as Van Grinsven sent the game into extra minutes.

Defense was the name of the game for the overtime periods, as each team collected just one shot each in the final 20 minutes of play. With the scoreless overtimes, Holy Cross and Bucknell walked away with the final 2-2 tie.

In all, Holy Cross made 16 shots, 10 on-goal and had three corner kicks. Bucknell had 15 shots, 11 on-goal and 10 corner kick attempts. Polanik finished with nine saves in the contest while Caso made seven saves in his first tie. A total of 19 fouls were called as well.

Holy Cross will compete against in-state rival, Boston College, next on Tuesday, Oct. 12. Game time is set for 4:00 p.m. at the Newton Campus Soccer Field.