Overall Record: 1-2-1 (0-0 PL); Last Week: 1-0-1
Scoreboard: Holy Cross 3, Stony Brook 0,
Hanover, N.H., 9/10
Holy Cross 0, San Diego 0, Hanover, N.H., 9/12
Schedule: Friday, Sept. 10 vs. Northern
Illinois (Lakeside Classic), Evanston, Ill., 3:30 p.m.
Sunday, Sept. 19 at Northwestern (Lakeside Classic), Evanston, Ill., 3:00 p.m.
- The Holy Cross men's soccer team will appear in its second consecutive tournament this upcoming weekend, traveling to Evanston, Ill., for the Lakeside Classic, hosted by Northwestern. Tournament participants include Holy Cross, Northwestern, Northern Illinois and Gonzaga. Games begin on Friday afternoon and will be held on Lakeside Field.
- Holy Cross faces off with Northern Illinois in its first game of the Lakeside Classic, held on Sept. 17 at 3:30 p.m. This is first meeting between the two teams in program history as the Huskies enter the contest with a 1-2-1 record, earning their first win against Cleveland State this past weekend.
- The Crusaders will then compete against the host team, Northwestern, at 3:00 p.m. on Sunday, Sept. 12. This is also the first time the teams have met in Holy Cross program history. The Wildcats enter the tournament with a record of 2-2, having won the last two games and winning the NIU Adidas/Magnuson Inn Invitational.
- Holy Cross won the Dartmouth Classic Tournament after defeating Stony Brook and tying San Diego this past weekend, taking home its first tournament title since the 2005 season. Two players earned MVP honors as senior Jonathan Werth (University Park, Md.) won Offensive MVP and sophomore Evan Polanik (Holliston, Mass.) won Goalkeeping MVP.
- Polanik also earned BRINE Patriot League Goalkeeper for his performances in the Dartmouth Classic. He recorded two shutouts, blanking Stony Brook 3-0 on Friday and made a career-high 10 saves in a scoreless tie against San Diego on Sunday. So far this season, Polanik has played 380 minutes for Holy Cross while posting a 1.18 goals-against average. He also has 27 saves on the season and an 84.4 percent saves average. Amongst the league, Polanik ranks fifth in goals against average, fourth in saves percentage, second in saves per game (6.75) and first in shutouts and tied for first in shutouts per game (0.50). Nationally, Polanik ranks 13th in saves per game.
- Werth had a big weekend offensively, recording his first goal of the season against Stony Brook and recording assists on Holy Cross' other goals. Werth now ties for the team-high with six points this far, having one goal and three assists. He also ties the team-high with six shots take. Amongst league performers, Werth ranks in a tie for third in assists and is third in assists per game (0.75) he is also tied for fifth with freshman Kevin O'Connell (Basking Ridge, N.J.) in points and points per game (1.25).