Men's Soccer Topped 2-1 In Final Minute Of 2nd OT At Central Connecticut

Jordan Michael

NEW BRITAIN, Conn. - Central Connecticut's Jared Spieker scored the sudden-death, game- winning goal in the 109th minute of the game to beat the Crusaders, 2-1, Saturday afternoon at the Central Connecticut Soccer Stadium. Sophomore forward Tony Rosales (Aurora, Colo.) tallied the team's lone goal. With the loss, the Crusaders fall to 0-3 while the Blue Devils improve to 3-0.

"Our back four and goalkeeper (Tom Booth) were strong and kept us in the game early, " said headh coach Ted Priestly.  "We now have to take that next step and start taking our chances in attack. Goals don't score themselves- we've got to accept the responsibility and make a difference. With that said, three one-goal losses have given us all the lessons that we need. We can't wait for Tuesday."

The teams went scoreless through the first 35 minutes of the game before Central Connecticut's Taylor Morgan scored off a give and go pass from Joel Diamond and Connor Smith. The Blue Devils took the 1-0 advantage into halftime, outshooting the Crusaders 9-0.

Holy Cross' Rosales tied the score at 58:18 on a shot that hit off the post and went in. The goal was assisted by goalkeeper Thomas Booth (Patchogue, N.Y.). Booth's assist and Rosales' goal are the first of their careers. The goal also marks the team's first goal of the season.

Holy Cross and Central Connecticut combined for nine more shots in the half, unable to come up with another score as the game went into overtime. Defense ruled the first overtime, as the score remained tied at 1-1 after the 10 minutes.  At the 108:19 mark of the second overtime, Spieker scored on a header from Blane Veldhuis, giving the Blue Devils the 2-1 game-winning victory.

Booth made eight saves in the game, a season high. In all, Holy Cross was outshot 22-12 and tallied two corners next Central Connecticut's four.

Holy Cross will continue action on the road Tuesday, Sept. 15 as it takes on in-state opponent Northeastern. Game time is set for 2:00 p.m. at Parsons Field in Boston, Mass.