Holy Cross Men's Rowing
Schedule: Thursday-Saturday, May 31-June 2, IRA National Championship, Camden, N.J.
- The Holy Cross men's rowing team will compete at the 110th Intercollegiate Rowing Association (IRA) National Championship on the Cooper River in Camden, N.J., on May 31-June 2. The Crusaders will race in the varsity four competition. The members of the crew are freshman coxswain Eddie Ryan (Pasadena, Calif.), junior Peter Prominski (Arlington, Va.), sophomore Anthony Curro (North Andover, Mass.), sophomore Jordan Traub (Eastham, Mass.) and junior Pat Rapuano (Penn Valley, Pa.). "As we have for the last two years, we will only be rowing a varsity four at the IRA, having failed to qualify in the eights," said Holy Cross head coach Todd Pearson. "The guys in this boat have been working really hard and are determined to have a good showing at this year's regatta. Our goal is to use the experience in the four to help propel our full squad to the IRAs next year."
- The Crusaders will race their opening heat at 10:15 a.m. on Thursday versus Washington, Yale, Temple and Brown. The top three finishers will move on to the semifinals, while the rest of the boats will compete in the repechage on Thursday afternoon at 3:30 p.m. The top three in the repechage will advance to the semifinals. The semifinals are on Friday at 10:00 a.m. and 10:15 a.m., while the grand finals (9:10 a.m.), the petite finals (8:55 a.m.) and the third level finals (7:55 a.m.) are on Saturday. Go here for the schedule of Thursday's qualifying heats and repechages.
- You can watch the IRAs on video by going here. The video cost $9.95 per day or $14.95 for the complete regatta. Also for complete coverage of the regatta on row2k.com go here.
- Last year, the Crusaders also competed in the varsity four competition at the IRAs on the Cooper River. Holy Cross placed second out of five boats in its opening heat to qualify for the semifinals. The varsity four placed sixth out of six boats in its semifinal race and then placed fourth out of six boats in the petite finals to finish 10th out of 19 boats in the overall varsity four competition. Washington won the grand finals. At the 2010 IRAs, the Crusaders placed 14th out of 18 teams overall in the varsity four competition.
- This is the second straight year that Prominiski, Curro and Rapuano have competed at the IRAs as they were members of the varsity four last season. Prominski, Rapuano and Traub have rowed for the varsity eight this season, while Curro has been a member of the second varsity eight. Ryan has been a member of the freshman eight.
- During the spring season, Holy Cross won three of four races versus EARC opponent Rutgers, while the Crusaders then swept all three races versus Bucknell. The second varsity eight posted a strong spring season with four first-places finishes with wins versus George Washington, Georgetown, Rutgers and Bucknell.