June 1, 2011
Holy Cross Men's Rowing
Men's Rowing Ready For IRA National Championship
Holy Cross Men's Rowing
Schedule: Thursday-Saturday, June 2-4, IRA National Championship, Camden, N.J.
- The Holy Cross men's rowing team will compete at the 109th Intercollegiate Rowing Association (IRA) National Championship on the Cooper River in Camden, N.J., on June 2-4. The Crusaders will race in the varsity four competition. The members of the crew are freshman coxswain John Gentile (Mays Landing, N.J.), sophomore Peter Prominski (Arlington, Va.), freshman Anthony Curro (North Andover, Mass.), junior Peter Dwyer (Keene, N.Y.) and sophomore Pat Rapuano (Penn Valley, Pa.). "While I wish we were taking a full squad to the regatta, I'm very excited about what has transpired with the team since the Eastern Sprints," said Holy Cross head coach Todd Pearson. "When it became clear we would only row a varsity four, a large number of guys stepped forward to compete for a spot. Those five spots were hotly contested and I firmly believe this will make the entire team better in the long run. Right now, we're all looking forward to getting back to racing and seeing how we stack up against crews from around the country."
- The Crusaders will race their opening heat at 11:00 a.m. on Thursday versus Dartmouth, Stanford, Washington and Temple. The top two finishers will move on to the semifinals, while the rest of the boats will compete in the repechages on Thursday afternoon at either 3:15 p.m. or 3:30 p.m. The top two will advance to the semifinals and the next three to the third level finals with one boat not qualifying. The semifinals are on Friday, while the finals, the petite finals and the third level finals are on Saturday. Go here for the schedule of Thursday's qualifying heats and repechages.
- There are numerous ways to follow the IRAs. You can watch the event on video by going here. You can also listen to an audio broadcast by going here and follow the results here. Also for complete coverage of the regatta on row2k.com go here.
- Last year, the Crusaders also competed in the varsity four competition at the IRAs on the Cooper River. Holy Cross placed second in the third-level finals and 14th out of 18 teams overall.
- This is the second straight year that Dwyer has competed at the IRAs as he was a member of the varsity four last season. Dwyer has been a member of the varsity eight as a sophomore and junior. Both Prominski and Rapuano rowed for the varsity eight this season and the freshman eight last year. All three Crusaders were members of the crew that earned victories over George Washington, Gonzaga, Bucknell and Rutgers this season. Curro rowed for the freshman eight this season as they earned a victory over Rutgers. Gentile was also a member of the freshman eight boat that defeated Rutgers.
- This season, Holy Cross swept fellow EARC member Rutgers on the Raritan River on April 30. This was the program's first-ever sweep of an EARC opponent as the varsity eight, the second varsity eight and the freshman eight were all victorious. It was also the first win of the season for the freshman eight as this was the first time since 2007 that every boat on the team has won at least one race in the same season.