May 10, 2011
Crusaders Set For Eastern Sprints
Scoreboard: No regatta scheduled.
Schedule: Sunday, May 15, Eastern Sprints, Worcester, Mass., 8:00 a.m.
- The Crusaders return to action on May 15 on Lake Quinsigamond when they will compete against some of the best teams in the nation at the Eastern Sprints. Last season the Crusaders finished 15th of 18 teams.
- Holy Cross received votes in the USRowing Collegiate Poll (May 4). The Crusaders earned six votes in the poll which were tied the four most of teams not ranked but receiving votes. The week before the Crusaders recorded five votes which were the third most of teams not ranked.
- The Crusaders had two very successful weeks in a row. Holy Cross swept fellow EARC member Rutgers on the Raritan River on April 30. This was the program's first-ever sweep of an EARC opponent as the varsity eight, the second varsity eight and the freshman eight were all victorious. It was also the first win of the season for the freshman eight as this is the first time since 2007 that every boat on the team has won at least one race in the same season. The Crusaders won three of four races versus Bucknell on April 23. The varsity eight, the second varsity eight and the third varsity four each earned victories for the Crusaders. Senior Grant O'Connell (Cold Spring Harbor, N.Y.) was named the AT&T Crusader of the Week.
- The varsity eight has earned victories over George Washington, Gonzaga, Bucknell and Rutgers. The second varsity eight has defeated Gonzaga, Georgetown, Bucknell and Rutgers.
- The varsity eight competed versus ranked crews in the first three weeks of the season. The Crusaders took on No. 14 Dartmouth on April 2, rowed versus No. 13 Navy and No. 15 Georgetown at the George Washington Invitational on April 10 and then met No. 15 Georgetown for the second straight week on April 16.
- The Crusaders have four seniors on this year's team with Matthew Achariam (Elizabeth, N.J.), captain Pete Haney (Oreland, Pa.), Mary Carol Madigan (Kenilworth, Ill.) and O'Connell. Junior Colin Hayes (Chanhassen, Minn.) is also a captain for the Crusaders.
- Holy Cross will conclude the season pending qualification at the IRA National Championship (June 2-4) in Camden, N.J. Last season, the Crusaders' varsity four competed at the regatta.