HC Defeated By #18 Army, 16-3

April 21, 2006

Box Score

WEST POINT, N.Y.- The Holy Cross men's lacrosse team fell to No. 18 Army, 16-3, this evening in Patriot League action at Michie Stadium. With the loss, the Crusaders fall to 0-13 overall and conclude Patriot League play with a 0-6 record, while the Black Knights improve to 7-5 overall and 4-2 in league games. Senior Billy Klotz (Derry, N.H.) scored two goals as he leads the team with 18 goals and now has 104 for his career. Klotz also added an assist for three points on the night. Matt Scheel led the Black Knights with five goals.

The Black Knights scored the first 10 goals of the game, with five in the first period and five in the second to take a 10-0 lead into the half. In the first period, Scheel scored two goals, while Hunter Wakeland, Ryan Chase and Paul Wigdzinski each scored a goal. In the second period, Wakeland netted two goals, while Tom Ronin, Scheel and Mike Obringer each scored a goal.

The Crusaders scored the first goal of the third period when Klotz scored a man-up goal with an assist by sophomore Toby Banta (Melrose, Mass.). Army would then go onto score four straight goals to increase its lead to 14-1 from goals by Scheel, John Walker, Alex Rhoads and Erik Nerdalen. Klotz then scored his second goal of the game with 2:12 left in the period. Junior Paul LeBlanc (Lexington, Mass.) was credited with an assist.

Scheel scored his fifth goal of the game at 51 seconds into the fourth period as the Black Knights increased their lead to 15-2. Army's Mike Hanna made the score 16-2 with 8:53 left, while LeBlanc scored the last goal of the game with 1:34 remaining with an assist by Klotz as the game ended in a 16-3 score.

Senior goalie Matt Fallon (Mount Kisco, N.Y.) made four saves in 42:18, while freshman Jimmy Harrison (East Williston, N.Y.) stopped four shots in 12:56. Junior David Vafek (Michalovce, Slovakia) played in the final 4:46. Army goalie Adam Fullerton made five saves in 40:36 to earn the win. Nick LoRusso made one save in 16:16 and Trip Auray played the final 3:08.

Holy Cross had 15 shots on the night and went 2-6 on extra-man opportunities, while Army had 41 shots and went 2-8.

The Crusaders return to action on Tuesday, May 2, when they travel to Hanover, N.H. to face Dartmouth in the final game of the 2006 season. The game is set to start at 6:00 p.m.