Smirti Ties Two School Records In 21-12 Loss To Dartmouth

March 25, 2008

Box Score

HANOVER, N.H. - Holy Cross sophomore Chris Smirti (Cold Spring Harbor, N.Y.) tied the school records for most goals in a game with eight and for the most points in a game with 10 as the Holy Cross men's lacrosse team fell to Dartmouth, 21-12, on Tuesday afternoon in non-conference action. With the loss, the Crusaders fall to 3-5 overall, while the Big Green improve to 4-3 overall. Smirti tied the goals record set by John Vrionis against WPI on April 13, 1968. He is now the fourth Holy Cross player to earn 10 points. The three previous players were Ryan Dooley against Marist on May 1, 1994, Rob Callahan against Siena on April 12, 1994 and Pat Kelly against Tufts on April 16, 1985.

Junior Luke Marchand (Concord, Mass.) had two goals and two assists for four points, while sophomore Edison Parzanese (Edgartown, Mass.) recorded four assists. Senior Toby Banta (Melrose, Mass.) and freshman Colin Flood (Bay Shore, N.Y.) each scored one goal, while senior Bobby Sullivan (Longmeadow, Mass.) and freshman Conor McKenna (Summit, N.J.) each had one assist.

Dartmouth was led by Jonathan Livadas and Ari Sussman who each had four goals and two assists.

After the Big Green took a 2-0 lead, the Crusaders scored three straight goals to move out to a 3-2 lead. Marchand netted a man-up goal off an assist by Smirti, while Smirti tied the game at 2-2 with a goal off a pass by Parzanese. Flood then gave Holy Cross a 3-2 lead with his first collegiate goal. McKenna assisted on the goal. Dartmouth answered with two goals to regain the lead, but Smirti then scored two more goals to give the Crusaders a 5-4 lead. Parzanese assisted on Smirti's third goal of the game. With 42 seconds left in the first period, the Big Green tied the game at 5-5.

Dartmouth started off the second period with two goals for a 7-5 lead before Smirti scored a man-up goal off an assist by Marchand for his fourth goal of the contest. The Big Green then scored four straight goals to take an 11-6 lead into half time.

After the Big Green scored the first goal of the third period to make it a 12-6 game, Smirti answered with his fifth goal of the game with an assist by Parzanese. Dartmouth then made the score 15-7 with three straight goals. Marchand and Smirti then made it a 15-9 game to end the third period. Sullivan assisted on Smirti's goal.

The Big Green opened the fourth period with two goals to increase their lead to 17-9, while Smirti then netted his seventh goal of the game with an assist by Parzanese. Dartmouth scored four goals to increase the lead to 21-10. The Crusaders scored the last two goals of the game for the 21-12 final score. Banta scored with an assist by Smirti, while Smirti scored a man-up goal with an assist by Marchand for his eighth goal of the game.

Holy Cross sophomore goalie Connor Sweeney (South Salem, N.Y.) stopped four shots in the first half, while junior goalie Jimmy Harrison (East Williston, N.Y.) also made four saves in the second half. Michael Novosel stopped seven shots for Dartmouth in the first 52:32, while Pat Marshall made three saves in 7:28.

Holy Cross had 29 shots and picked up 31 ground balls, while Dartmouth had 44 shots and 40 ground balls. Each team went 3-7 on extra-man opportunities.

The Crusaders return to action on Saturday, March 29, when they host Patriot League opponent No. 15 Bucknell at the Hart Turf Field at 1:00 p.m.