Holy Cross defeats tournament host UConn, 6-3

Dec. 30, 2004

Box Score

Storrs, Conn. - The Holy Cross men's hockey team opened the second half the season strong as they defeated Toyota Hockey Classic host Connecticut, 6-3, Thursday evening, in an Atlantic Hockey game.

Leading Holy Cross' campaign was junior Tyler McGregor (Ajax, Ont.), who scored two goals, as four other Crusaders posted goals and sophomore Sean Nappo (Northville, Mich.), who tallied three assists.

With the win the Crusaders improve to 7-5-4 overall and 4-2-3 in Atlantic Hockey, while the Huskies fall to 3-11-2 overall and 2-5-1 in the league.

Holy Cross jumped to an early lead at 4:28 in the first when sophomore James Sixsmith (Alexandria, Va.) netted his fourth goal of the season with help from Nappo and freshman Dale Reinhardt (Livingston, N.J.).

The Huskies answered with a goal to even the score at one-all with three and half minutes remaining in the first when Scott McDougall netted a power play goal.

Freshman Dale Reinhardt(Livingston, N.J.) put the Crusaders up by one early in the second when he netted his second collegiate-goal just 1:12 into the stanza. Nappo and sophomore Frank O'Grady (Kimberley, B.C.) assisted with the marker.

McGregor increased the Crusaders margin by two midway through the second with help from junior assistant captain Pierre Napert-Frenette (Bathurst, N.B.) and senior captain Andrew McKay (Bellefeuille, Que.).

UConn put the score at 3-2 when Adam Rhein scored at 3:52 in the second.

Freshman Matt Burke (Milton, Mass.) netted the Crusaders first power play goal of the contest, the eventual the game-winner, at 7:10 to put the score at 4-2. Nappo and Sixsmithassisted on the play.

After Husky netminder Scott Tomes was pulled on a delayed penalty, freshman Brian Kolb (Sandwich, Mass.) put netted his first collegiate-goal, unassisted at 11:17 in the third.

McGregor would score less than one minute later, putting the Crusaders up 6-2, with help from senior Chris Sulllivan (South Windsor, Conn.) and Napert-Frenette.

Holy Cross netminder Tony Quesada (South Freeport, Maine) ( 4-3-3) made 38 saves for the win, while Scott Tomes halted 31 shots on net, in 52:06 minutes of action for the loss.

UConn's Cole Koidahl would score one last time with 2:25 remaining in the game to cut the Crusaders lead to three.

Holy Cross goes up against Brown on New Year's Eve at 4:30 p.m., in the championship game of the Toyota UConn Hockey Classic, in Storrs, Conn.