Men's Hockey Defeats Mercyhurst In 4-3 OT Thriller

Nov. 8, 2008


Box Score


WORCESTER, Mass. - Sophomore Jordan Cyr (Winnipeg, Manitoba) scored two goals including the game-winner at 54 seconds into overtime as the Holy Cross men's hockey team defeated Mercyhurst, 4-3, on Saturday evening at the Hart Center in Atlantic Hockey action. With the win, the Crusaders improve to 2-4-1 overall (2-3-1 Atlantic Hockey), while the Lakers fall to 1-7-0 (1-1-0 Atlantic Hockey). The two teams split the season-series, 1-1-0.

The Lakers made it a 1-0 game while on the power play when Steve Cameron netted his fifth goal of the season at 4:31 into the first period. The Crusaders answered back to tie the game at 1-1 at the 12:30 mark when junior Rob Forshner (Sundre, Alberta) scored his second goal of the year. Junior Brodie Sheahan (Lethbridge, Alberta) sent a pass from center ice to Forshner who controlled the puck and skated to the net. He then fired the puck into the net. Holy Cross took a 2-1 lead while on the power play with 39 seconds remaining in the period when freshman Mike Daly (South Burlington, Vt.) fired a slapshot from just inside the blue line that deflected off Mercyhurst goalie Matt Lundin's shoulder and into the net. Freshman Kyle Atkins (Brockville, Ontario) and sophomore J.P. Martignetti (Winchester, Mass.) assisted on the goal. The Lakers outshot the Crusaders, 9-8, for the period, while Holy Cross went 1-2 on the man-advantage and Mercyhurst went 1-3.

Cyr increased Holy Cross' lead to 3-1 at just 39 seconds into the second period when he put in a rebound from a shot by Sheahan. Forshner was also credited with an assist. The Lakers answered with two straight goals to close out the period. Cullen Eddy scored a power play goal on a slapshot from the blue line at the 14:46 mark and Chris Risi netted his second goal of the season at 16:02 with each team having a player in the penalty box. The Crusaders had 17 shots and went 0-1 on the power play and the Lakers had eight shots and went 1-2.

The game remained tied at 3-3 until Cyr knocked in a rebound off a shot by Sheahan at 54 seconds into overtime to give Holy Cross the win. The victory marked the Crusaders' first in overtime since their 4-3 win over Minnesota on Mar. 24, 2006 in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. The goal was Cyr's second in the game and the fourth in the last two games. He is now tied with Sheahan for the most goals on the team with four. The assist was Sheahan's third of the contest and his team-best sixth of the year. He also leads the team in points with 10.

Holy Cross sophomore goalie Adam Roy (Feeding Hills, Mass.) made 22 saves and improves to 2-3-1 on the year, while Lundin stopped 32 shots for Mercyhurst and is now 1-6-0. The Crusaders outshot the Lakers by a 36-25 margin, while Holy Cross went 1-5 on the man-advantage and Mercyhurst went 2-5.

The Crusaders return to action when they host No. 14 in the nation and undefeated Air Force on Friday and Saturday, Nov. 14-15. The Falcons are 8-0-0 overall and are in first place in Atlantic Hockey with a 6-0-0 record. Their eight-game winning streak is the longest in the country. Friday's game is set for 6:30 p.m., while Saturday's will begin at 7:00 p.m.