Holy Cross Men's Hockey Tops Army, 5-3

Oct. 29, 2005

Box Score

Worcester, Mass.- Senior co-captain Tyler McGregor (Ajax, Ontario) had a goal and two assists as the Holy Cross men's hockey team defeated Army, 5-3, in Atlantic Hockey action, on Saturday night at the Hart Center. With the win, the Crusaders improve to 3-0-0 (2-0-0 AHA) making it their best start since the 1993-94 season when they went 4-0-0. Army is now 0-6-0 (0-2-0 AHA).

The Crusaders got on the board 23 seconds into the first period when sophomore defenseman Brian Gabriel (Kenai, Alaska) scored his first goal of the year when he rifled a shot from the far corner of the left faceoff circle past Army goalie Brad Roberts, to give Holy Cross the early lead. Army came right back to tie the game when Tim Manthey scored a power play goal from just inside the blue line at the 2:23 mark. Just 41 seconds later McGregor gave the Crusaders back the lead when he tallied his first goal of the season.

In the second period, junior Sean Nappo (Northville, Mich.) extended the Holy Cross lead to 3-1 with a power play goal at the 3:23 mark. The Black Knights cut the deficit in half with just under two minutes remaining in the period, when on the power play Casey Bickley blasted a slap shot from in front of the net.

Sophomore Brian Kolb (Sandwich, Mass.) scored the eventual game-winner right after an Army power play, when he took off on a breakaway and placed the puck into the net pass Roberts, at the 5:57 mark of the third period. Army made the game tight when Matt Hickey scored a short-handed goal with 19 seconds remaining to make it 4-3. The Crusaders clinched the game when senior co-captain Pierre Napert-Frenette (Bathurst, New Brunswick) added an empty net goal with four seconds left.

Senior goaltender Ben Conway (South Hadley, Mass.) made 24 saves to earn his first win of the season, while Roberts also stopped 24 shots for the Black Knights.

The Crusaders return to action when they hit the road to take on Atlantic Hockey opponent Connecticut on Friday, November 4, at 7:00 p.m. The teams will play again the following night at 7:00 p.m., at the Hart Center.