Crusader Men's Hockey Downs UMass, 3-2, In Season Opener

Oct. 21, 2005

Box Score

Amherst, Mass. - Freshman Kai Magnussen (Okotoks, Alberta) scored the game-winning goal at 2:17 left in the game to give the Holy Cross men's hockey team a 3-2 win over Massachusetts, Friday night at the Mullins Center in the Crusaders' season-opener. The Crusaders are 1-0-0, while the Minutemen fall to 1-2-0. This marks the first time that Holy Cross has defeated a member of Hockey East since defeating UMass, 3-2 in overtime, on January 31, 1995.

Neither team got on the board in the opening period, despite five power play opportunities among them. Shots were 11-6 in favor of the Crusaders.

UMass got on the board first when Jamie Solon scored at 6:42 of the second period, assisted by Marvin Degon and Cory Quirk. Quirk won the face off in the Holy Cross zone and drew it back to Degon. Degon's shot on goal rebounded out to Solon, who buried it for the 1-0 lead.

Holy Cross tied it at one when sophomore Dale Reinhardt (Livingston, N.J.) shot the puck past UMass goalie Gabe Winer at the 18:44 mark of the second. Junior Sean Nappo (Northville, Mich.) and junior James Sixsmith (Alexandria, Va.) assisted on the goal. Nappo passed the puck from behind the UMass net to a waiting Reinhardt, who's shot found the back of the net to even the score.

In the third period, the Minutemen pulled ahead, making the score 2-1 when Stephen Werner put home a rebound. Werner picked up the loose puck after Matt Anderson fired a shot on goal from the opposite side of the Minutemen's offensive zone.

Holy Cross tied the game with 3:25 remaining on the clock in the third period when junior defenseman Rob Godfrey (Thunder Bay, Ontario) fired home a shot from the point for his first goal of the season and his second goal of his career. Nappo drew the puck back on a face-off in the UMass zone. Reinhardt was able to corral the puck behind the face-off dot and slide it back to Godfrey who then put the puck past a screened Winer.

The game-winning goal came with 2:17 left in the third period when Godfrey forwarded the puck through the neutral zone to freshman Dewey Thomson (Northbridge, Mass.). Thompson then dished it to Magnussen, who snapped off a shot from the left hash mark in front of the goal for the third and final Crusaders score of the game.

Senior goalie Tony Quesada (South Freeport, Maine) made 22 saves to earn the win, while Winer stopped 31 shots.

The Crusaders return to the ice when they host Atlantic Hockey opponent Army at the Hart Center, for two conference games on Friday and Saturday, October 28 and 29, at 7:00 p.m.