Men's Hockey Defeated By RIT, 5-4, In Overtime

March 8, 2008

Box Score

ROCHESTER, N.Y. - RIT's Matt Smith scored the game-winner at the 4:17 mark of the first period of sudden death overtime as the Holy Cross men's hockey team fell to the Rochester Institute of Technology, 5-4, on Saturday night at the Frank Ritter Memorial Ice Arena in the second game of a best two-out-of-three series in the Atlantic Hockey Tournament Quarterfinals. RIT sweeps the series and advances to the Atlantic Hockey Final Five on March 14-16 at the Blue Cross Arena in Rochester, N.Y. RIT won the first game of the series also by a 5-4 score in overtime. With the loss, the ninth seeded Crusaders conclude their season with a 10-19-7 overall record, while the second seeded Tigers improve to 19-11-6 overall. Sophomore Rob Forshner (Sundre, Alberta) led the Crusaders with two goals.

The Tigers took a 1-0 lead at 3:12 into the first period when Smith scored his 25th goal of the season. While on the power play, Simon Lambert sent a crossing pass to Smith who was waiting at the right post as he then placed the puck into the right side of the net. At the 8:19 mark, the Crusaders answered back to tie the game at 1-1 with a goal by senior assistant captain Dale Reinhardt (Livingston, N.J.). Reinhardt was able to pounce on the puck on the left board of the RIT zone and then walked right in and fired the puck past RIT goalie Louis Menard. The goal was his eighth of the year. The Tigers regained the lead at 15:43 when Matt Crowell knocked in a rebound off a shot by Andrew Favot. The goal was his 11th of the season. For the period, RIT outshot Holy Cross, 10-4, while the Tigers went 1-1 on the man-advantage.

At 1:07 into the second period, RIT increased its lead to 3-1 while on the power play when Smith scored his 26th goal of the season. The goal was also his second of the game. Smith tipped in a pass from Lambert into the right side of the net. The Crusaders made it a 3-2 game at the 5:16 mark when senior Cal St. Denis (Freelton, Ontario) scored his third goal of the year. St. Denis drove to the net with the puck and then fired a shot into the left side of the goal. Just 38 seconds later, Holy Cross tied the game at 3-3 when Forshner netted his sixth goal of the season when he blasted in a shot from right in front of the net past Menard. The Crusaders then scored their third straight goal to take a 4-3 lead at the 12:34 mark with Forshner's second consecutive goal. Forshner knocked in a rebound off a slap shot by senior captain Matt Burke (Milton, Mass.) for his seventh goal of the year. The Tigers outshot the Crusaders, 13-9, while Holy Cross went 0-2 on the power play and RIT went 1-2.

RIT tied the game at 4-4 at 8:32 into the third period when Jesse Newman deflected a shot into the goal for his fifth goal of the season.

The game remained tied until Smith's game-winner at the 4:17 mark. His goal was his third of the game and sixth in the last two games.

Holy Cross freshman goalie Adam Roy (Feeding Hills, Mass.) made 33 saves, while Menard stopped 17 shots for RIT. The Tigers outshot the Crusaders, 38-21, while Holy Cross went 0-2 on the power play and RIT went 2-3.