Holy Cross Falls To RIT, 5-4, In Overtime

March 7, 2008

Box Score

ROCHESTER, N.Y. - RIT's Matt Crowell scored the game-winning sudden death overtime goal as the Holy Cross men's hockey team fell to the Rochester Institute of Technology, 5-4, on Friday night at the Frank Ritter Memorial Ice Arena in the first game of a best two-out-of-three series in the Atlantic Hockey Tournament Quarterfinals. With the loss, the ninth seeded Crusaders fall to 10-18-7 overall, while the second seeded Tigers improve to 18-11-6 overall. The game had five lead changes. These two teams team will meet again in game two on Saturday night at 7:05 p.m.

The Tigers took a 1-0 lead at 8:25 into the first period, when Matt Smith scored a power play goal. The goal was his 22nd of the season. The Crusaders tied the game at 1-1 with just 28 seconds remaining in the first period when freshman Joe Brock (Cumming, Ga.) netted his ninth goal of the year. Junior Marty Dams (Manotick, Ontario) fired a slap shot from the blue line and Brock was able to then knock the rebound into the left side of the goal. For the period, Holy Cross outshot RIT by an 11-8 margin, while the Crusaders went 0-1 on the man-advantage and the Tigers went 1-1.

Holy Cross took a 2-1 lead just before the buzzer went off to conclude the second period as freshman Mark Znutas (Emerson, N.J.) fired a wrist shot through a crowd and into the net. The goal was his eighth of the season. The Tigers outshot the Crusaders, 10-4, while each team went 0-2 on the power play.

At 2:33 into the third period, RIT's Stevan Matic scored his second goal of the year to tie the game at 2-2. After receiving a pass from sophomore Rob Forshner (Sundre, Alberta), senior captain Matt Burke (Milton, Mass.) blasted in a slap shot from just inside the blue line for the power play goal and the 3-2 lead. The goal was his third of the season.

The Tigers then answered back to tie the game at 3-3 when Smith scored on the power play at the 11:06 mark for his second goal of the game and 23rd of the season. Just 12 seconds later, the Crusaders regained the lead when Forshner and sophomore Brodie Sheahan (Lethbridge, Alberta) went on a two-on-one as Forshner passed the puck to Sheahan who then fired the puck past RIT goalie Louis Menard. With 3:59 remaining in the period, RIT tied the game at 4-4 when Smith scored his third goal of the contest as he knocked in his own rebound for his 24th goal of the season.

The game remained tied until the 15:19 mark of the first overtime period when Crowell netted the game-winner.

Holy Cross freshman goalie Adam Roy (Feeding Hills, Mass.) made 36 saves, while Louis Menard stopped 21 shots. The Tigers outshot the Crusaders by a 41-25 margin, while Holy Cross went 1-5 on the man-advantage and RIT went 2-5.