Holy Cross Men's Hockey Defeats UConn, 5-3

Jan. 30, 2009


Box Score


STORRS, Conn. - After trailing 3-0, the Crusaders scored five straight goals including the game-winner in the third period by freshman Jay Silvia (Burlington, Mass.) as the Holy Cross men's hockey team defeated Connecticut, 5-3, on Friday evening in Atlantic Hockey action at the Mark E. Freitas Ice Forum. With the win, the Crusaders extend their unbeaten streak to eight games (4-0-4) and improve to 9-11-5 overall (8-8-3 Atlantic Hockey), while the Huskies fall to 6-19-1 overall (5-12-1 Atlantic Hockey). These two teams will conclude their two-game season series on Saturday at 7:00 p.m. in Storrs, Conn.

Holy Cross' eight-game unbeaten streak is currently the second longest in the nation behind fellow Atlantic Hockey team RIT's 11-game streak (11-0-0). During this streak Holy Cross has outscored its opponents by a 30-19 margin. The Crusaders are averaging 3.8 goals scored per game and have only allowed 2.4 goals per contest during the streak. This ties Holy Cross' most recent longest unbeaten streak of eight games (8-0-0) between Jan. 19-Feb. 10, 2006. The longest in school history is 10 games (10-0-0) between Dec. 8, 1979-Jan. 16, 1980.

UConn took a 1-0 lead at just 1:54 into the first period when Chris Ochoa scored his 10th goal of the year. At the 17:44 mark, Connecticut extended its lead to 2-0 when Jordan Behler scored his first collegiate goal. Holy Cross outshot UConn by a 14-9 margin, while the Crusaders went 0-3 on the power play and Connecticut went 0-1.

At 2:10 into the second period, UConn made it a 3-0 game when Corey Jendras netted his first collegiate goal. At the 7:40 mark, Holy Cross got on the scoreboard to make the score 3-1, when sophomore Jordan Cyr (Winnipeg, Manitoba) scored his team-leading 12th goal of the season. Junior co-captain Ryan Driscoll (Dorchester, Mass.) sent a pass from the right side of the goal to a waiting Cyr in front as he then knocked the puck into the net. The Crusaders made it a one-goal game while on the power play when junior Brodie Sheahan (Lethbridge, Alberta) scored his seventh goal of the year at 12:27. After receiving a pass from the blue line by sophomore Mark Znutas (Emerson, N.J.), Sheahan fired a wrist shot into the goal from the top of the left faceoff circle. Holy Cross scored its third straight goal to tie the game at 3-3 at the 16:09 mark when sophomore Matt Celin (Gibsonia, Pa.) found the back of the net for the fourth time this season. Znutas earned his second assist of the contest when he sent a pass to Celin who then fired a slap shot that deflected off UConn goalie Beau Erickson and went into the goal. The goal came just after a Crusader power play. Holy Cross outshot Connecticut, 16-6, as the Crusaders went 1-4 on the man-advantage and UConn went 0-1.

Just after a UConn power play concluded, Silvia went on a breakaway and sent a wrist shot off the right crossbar and into the net at the 7:31 mark of the third period for his sixth goal of the year and Holy Cross' fourth straight of the game. The goal was Silvia's second-game winner of the season. The Crusaders then netted their fifth consecutive goal at the 11:10 mark when Cyr stole the puck and then took a shot that was saved by Erickson, but Driscoll was then able to knock the rebound into the back of the goal for his fifth goal of the year. Neither team scored again for the 5-3 final score.

Sophomore goalie Adam Roy (Feeding Hills, Mass.) made 26 saves to improve 6-10-4 on the season, while Erickson stopped 37 shots and is now 5-17-1. Holy Cross outshot Connecticut 42-29, while the Crusaders went 1-8 on the power play and UConn went 0-4.