Holy Cross Men's Hockey Downs UConn, 5-3

Jan. 24, 2006

Box Score

STORRS, Conn.- Sophomore defenseman Matt Burke (Milton, Mass.) scored his first two goals of the season and senior goaltender Tony Quesada (South Freeport, Maine) made a season-high 43 saves as the Holy Cross men's hockey team defeated Connecticut, 5-3, in Atlantic Hockey action this evening at the Mark Edward Freitas Ice Forum. With the win, the Crusaders improve to 15-6-1 overall (11-4-1 AHA), while the Huskies fall to 7-15-1 overall (6-12-0 AHA). Holy Cross wins the season series with the Huskies, 3-1-0.

The Crusaders got on the board just 1:22 into the first period, when sophomore Dale Reinhardt (Livingston, N.J.) sent a pass from behind the UConn goal to Burke, who then fired a shot into the upper right corner of the net past UConn goaltender Brad Smith. Three minutes later while on the power play, Holy Cross increased the lead to 2-0 when senior Tyler McGregor (Ajax, Ontario) sent a pass through the goalie box to junior defenseman Rob Godfrey (Thunder Bay, Ontario) at the right post, who then placed it into the net for his second goal of the year.

At the 12:00 mark of the first period, Burke scored his second goal of the game to make the lead 3-0 on the power play. Junior Jon Landry (Lexington, Mass.) fired a shot that was saved by Smith, but Burke was waiting on the left side and buried the puck into the net. UConn got on the board at the 14:19 mark when John Stockler scored his second goal of the season.

Two minutes later the Crusaders regained their three-goal lead when senior Pierre Napert-Frenette (Bathurst, New Brunswick) netted his 10th goal of the season with assists credited to freshman Shane McAdam (Hamilton, Ontario) and Landry. The Crusaders went a perfect 2-2 on the power play and the Huskies went 0-1. UConn outshot Holy Cross, 15-14.

Stockler scored his second goal of the game and only goal of the second period at 3:57 into the period to cut the UConn deficit to 4-2. For the period, the Crusaders had eight shots and went 0-1 on the power play, while the Huskies had 15 shots and went 0-2.

Holy Cross senior Blair Bartlett (Dryden, Ontario) scored a shorthanded goal to give the Crusaders a 5-2 lead at 3:17 into the third period. The goal was Bartlett's fifth of the season. With four minutes left, UConn's Matt Scherer scored his seventh goal of the season to make it a 5-3 game. With 1:05 left in the period the Huskies went on a power play and also pulled their goalie for a two-man advantage but could not convert as the game ended in a 5-3 score.

Quesada is now 10-3-1 on the season, while Smith stopped 20 shots and falls to 3-2-1. The Crusaders had 25 shots and went 2-3 on the power play, while the Huskies had 46 shots and went 0-6.

The Crusaders return to the ice this weekend for a home-and-home series with Atlantic Hockey opponent American International. On Friday, January 27, Holy Cross travels to Springfield, Mass., while on Saturday, January 28, it will host the Yellow Jackets at the Hart Center.