Holy Cross Men's Hockey Ties #18 Dartmouth, 2-2

Jan. 21, 2009


Box Score



WORCESTER, Mass. - Senior co-captain Marty Dams (Manotick, Ontario) and sophomore Jordan Cyr (Winnipeg, Manitoba) each scored a goal as the Holy Cross men's hockey team tied No. 18 Dartmouth, 2-2, on Wednesday evening at the Hart Center in non-conference action. With the tie, the Crusaders are now 8-11-5 overall, while the Big Green are 10-7-1 overall.

The game marked the 500th game played at the Hart Center by the Holy Cross men's hockey program.

With the tie, the Crusaders extend their unbeaten streak to seven games (3-0-4), which is tied for the fifth longest in the country, as they have outscored their opponents by a 25-16 margin in these seven contests. Holy Cross is averaging 3.6 goals scored per game and has only allowed 2.3 goals per contest during the streak. This is the longest unbeaten streak since an eight-game streak (8-0-0) between Jan. 19-Feb. 10, 2006.

The first period went scoreless as Dartmouth outshot the Crusaders by a 10-9 margin, while Holy Cross went 0-3 on the power play and the Big Green went 0-1.

At the 7:33 mark of the second period, Dartmouth took a 1-0 lead with a goal by Doug Jones. Peter Boldt sent a pass to Andrew Owsiak who then skated into the Crusader zone and sent a crossing pass from the left side to a waiting Jones who then fired the puck into the net for his sixth goal of the year. Holy Cross outshot the Big Green, 16-12, while each team went 0-2 on the man-advantage.

The Crusaders tied the game at 1-1 at 2:49 into the third period when Dams stole the puck and then sent a slap shot into the net for his second goal of the season. At the 4:35 mark, Dartmouth regained the lead when Josh Gillam scored on a backhander into the right side of the net for his second goal of the year. Holy Cross tied the game again when Cyr scored his team-best 11th goal of the season. The goal was on the power play as junior Rob Forshner (Sundre, Alberta) and junior co-captain Ryan Driscoll (Dorchester, Mass.) had assists. The game remained tied and went into overtime.

The Big Green went on a power play at 28 seconds into overtime, but the Crusaders were able to keep them from scoring. Neither team was able to score as the game ended in a 2-2 tie.

Holy Cross sophomore Adam Roy (Feeding Hills, Mass.) made 30 saves and is now 5-10-4, while Jody O'Neill also stopped 30 shots for Dartmouth and is 10-6-1. Each team had 32 shots, while the Crusaders went 1-6 on the power play and the Big Green went 0-6.

The Crusaders return to action on Jan. 30-31 when they travel to Storrs, Conn., to play two 7:00 p.m. games against Atlantic Hockey opponent Connecticut.