Holy Cross Men's Hockey Ties Army, 4-4

Jan. 18, 2009


Box Score



WEST POINT, N.Y. - Sophomore J.P. Martignetti (Winchester, Mass.) recorded one goal and one assist as the Holy Cross men's hockey team tied Army, 4-4, on Sunday afternoon at Tate Rink in Atlantic Hockey action. With the tie, the Crusaders are now 8-11-4 overall (7-8-3 Atlantic Hockey), while the Black Knights are now 7-12-3 overall (6-7-3 Atlantic Hockey). This year's two-game regular season series between these two teams concludes tied 0-0-2.

Holy Cross is now 3-0-3 in its last six games matching last year's six-game unbeaten streak (1-0-5).

At 4:09 into the first period, freshman Luke Miller (Andover, Mass.) gave Holy Cross a 1-0 lead when he lifted a rebound off a shot by freshman Andrew Cox (Lombardy, Ontario) into the upper right corner of the net for his second goal of the season. Just 1:31 later, Army tied the game at 1-1 when Owen Meyer scored a shorthanded breakaway goal. The Crusaders took a 2-1 advantage with a goal by Martignetti at the 14:58 mark. Sophomore Everett Sheen (Lethbridge, Alberta) tipped a rebound to Martignetti who then fired the puck into the upper right side of the net from right in front of the goal. The goal was his fifth of the year. Holy Cross outshot Army 10-6 in the first period, while each team went 0-1 on the power play.

Army tied the game at 2-2 just 1:04 into the second period when Joey Ammon jumped on a loose puck right in front of the net and then sent it into the goal. At the 10:46 mark, the Crusaders regained the lead when a shot by sophomore Jordan Cyr (Winnipeg, Manitoba) deflected off the arm of junior co-captain Ryan Driscoll (Dorchester, Mass.) and into the net. Junior Brodie Sheahan (Lethbridge, Alberta) also had an assist. The goal was Driscoll's fourth of the season. Three minutes later, Army tied the game for the third time when Danny Colvin scored on the power play off a rebound on a shot by Will Ryan. Holy Cross went up in front for the fourth time in the contest when freshman Jay Silvia (Burlington, Mass.) found the back of the net on the power play off a rebound for his fifth goal of the year. Martignetti and Sheen assisted on the goal. The Crusaders had 11 shots and went 1-1 on the man-advantage during the second period, while Army had 14 shots and went 1-3.

Army tied the game for the fourth time with 6:40 left in the third period with a tip in goal by Colvin while on the power play. The game remained tied and went into overtime.

At 1:02 into overtime, Holy Cross went on a power play but could not score as neither team netted the game-winner as the contest ended tied 4-4.

Junior Ian Dams (Manotick, Ontario) made 35 saves for the Crusaders and is now 3-1-1, while Jay Clark stopped 33 shots for Army and is 5-4-3. Army outshot the Crusaders, 39-37, while Holy Cross went 1-3 on the power play and Army went 2-5.

The Crusaders return to action on Wednesday, Jan. 21, when they play host to Dartmouth at 7:00 p.m. This will be the first-ever meeting between the two schools in Worcester as all five previous varsity match ups have been in Hanover, N.H. The Big Green lead the all-time series in varsity games, 3-2-0.