Men's Hockey Ties Army, 3-3

Jan. 17, 2009


Box Score



WEST POINT, N.Y. - Junior Rob Forshner (Sundre, Alberta), sophomore Everett Sheen (Lethbridge, Alberta) and freshman Gianni Baldassari (Fort Wayne, Ind.) each scored a goal as the Holy Cross men's hockey team tied Army, 3-3, on Saturday evening at Tate Rink in Atlantic Hockey action. With the tie, the Crusaders are now 8-11-3 overall (7-8-2 Atlantic Hockey), while the Black Knights are 7-12-2 overall (6-7-2 Atlantic Hockey). These two teams will conclude their two-game season series on Sunday at 4:00 p.m. in West Point. The game will be shown live to a national audience on ESPNU.

Holy Cross is now 3-0-2 in its last five games which is its longest unbeaten streak since last year when they had a six-game streak (1-0-5).

Holy Cross took an early 1-0 lead at just 1:00 into the first period when Forshner jumped on a loose puck in front of the goal and then fired it into the net for his seventh goal of the year. Freshmen Andrew Cox (Lombardy, Ontario) and Luke Miller (Andover, Mass.) each had assists. At the 6:39 mark, Army tied the game at 1-1 when Owen Meyer sent a pass from behind the net to Eric Sefchik who then sent a shot into the goal fort seventh of the season. Just 50 seconds later, the Crusaders regained their one-goal advantage when Sheen fired a wrist shot into the upper left side of the net for his ninth goal of the year. Freshman Matthew Davis (Lancaster, N.Y.) was credited with an assist. The goal was Sheen's fifth over the last five games. Holy Cross outshot Army by a 13-9 margin.

At the 6:07 mark of the second period, the Crusaders increased their lead to 3-1 when Baldassari scored his first collegiate goal. Sophomore Matt Celin (Gibsonia, Pa.) sent a crossing pass from the right faceoff circle to Baldassari who was all alone in front of net as he blasted a shot into the goal. At 8:26, Army made it a 3-2 game with a power play goal by Cody Omilusik as it was his 11th of the season. With just 33 seconds left in the period, Army tied the game at 3-3 when Owen Meyer sent a backhander into the back of the net. The goal was his 12th of the year. Holy Cross had 11 shots and went 0-2 on the man-advantage, while Army had eight shots and went 1-2.

With three minutes remaining in the third period, Army went on a power play but the Crusaders were able to keep the game tied and in the last minute neither team scored as the game went into overtime. The game remained tied through overtime for the 3-3 final score.

Sophomore goalie Adam Roy (Feeding Hills, Mass.) made 23 saves and is now 5-10-3, while Jay Clark stopped 27 shots and is now 5-4-2. Holy Cross outshot Army by a 30-26 margin, while the Crusaders went 0-3 on the power play and Army went 1-4.