Men's Hockey Falls To UConn, 4-3

Nick Finn

STORRS, Conn. – Freshman Nick Finn (Canton, Mass.) netted his first two career goals, but the Holy Cross men's hockey team fell to Connecticut at Freitas Ice Forum on Tuesday evening in Atlantic Hockey action. With the loss, the Crusaders fall to 2-6-0 overall (2-1-0 AHA), while the Huskies advance to 3-2-1 overall (2-0-0 AHA).

The first scoring chance for the Crusaders came early in the first period when senior captain Ryan McGrath (Pittsburgh, Pa.) fired a shot from the blue line that made it through traffic and hit off the glove side post just missing the inside of the net. The Crusaders outshot the Huskies 14-4 during the period, but neither team could net the puck.  

Exactly 10:00 into the second, the Huskies struck first. Joona Kunnas received the puck and fired a shot outside of the faceoff circle on the left side of junior goaltender Matt Ginn (Lindsay, Ontario) top shelf on the right side. Joey Ferris came down with the puck right after the UConn penalty expired and faked out the defense. He sent the puck from the faceoff circle to the inside of the post where it beat Ginn. Exactly 0:30 later, sophomore Ben Kaplan (Burlington, Vt.) passed the puck to McGrath. McGrath then fired a shot from the opposite side that caught the stick of Finn before beating goalie Matt Grogan to bring the Crusaders within one goal.

Four minutes exactly into the third, Kaplan sent the puck to sophomore Tim Driscoll (Hingham, Mass.). Driscoll dangled through the UConn defensemen and sent the puck across the goal to sophomore Matt Vidal (Manorville, N.Y.) for his first of the season into the net to tie the game, 2-2. Just under six minutes later, Driscoll sent the puck to Finn in the faceoff circle. Just outside the faceoff circle, Finn knocked the puck in under the glove of Grogan for his second of the night bringing the Crusaders ahead 3-2. The Huskies' Cody Sharib evened the score at 3-3 with a goal from right outside the crease. With less than five minutes to play, the Huskies drew Ginn out of the net on his glove side and Trevor Gerling sent the puck to Shawn Pauly who tipped it into the net. At 3:11 Driscoll had the chance to tie the game with a penalty shot, but Grogan came up with a big save to keep the 4-3 lead. Despite pulling Ginn with 0:27 left in the game, the Crusaders could not rally for a tying goal.

The Crusaders outshot the Huskies 30-26 during the game. Ginn posted 22 saves, while Grogan made 27. Each team had one power play opportunity, but neither could score a goal.

The Crusaders return to action on Friday, Nov. 15 when they host Atlantic Hockey opponent AIC for a 7:00 p.m. contest at the Hart Center.