Holy Cross Defeats Simon Fraser, 7-3, In Exhibition Game

Castan Sommer

WORCESTER, Mass. – Castan Sommer (Shrewsbury, Mass.) netted two goals as the Holy Cross men's hockey team defeated Simon Fraser, 7-3, at the Hart Center on Saturday afternoon in an exhibition game. The Crusaders open the regular season on Saturday, Oct. 12, when they travel to Boston to play non-conference opponent Boston University at 7:00 p.m., at Agganis Arena. The Crusaders' home-opener is versus Northeastern on Oct. 18.

Sommer struck first in the game getting the puck past Simon Fraser's Graeme Gordon. Sommer passed the puck to freshman Cameron Lawson (Vancouver, British Columbia) who returned it for Sommer's shot and goal 4:06 into the first period. Just under a minute later, sophomore Sean Gustin (Stoneham, Mass.) passed the puck behind the net to waiting teammate sophomore Brett Lubanski (Farmington Hills, Mich.). Lubanski beat Gordon to bring the Crusaders ahead 2-0. Simon Fraser rallied with a goal at 16:07 by Graham Smerek. Almost two minutes later, at 17:54 junior Jake Youso (International Falls, Minn.) scored to bring the Crusaders ahead 3-1.

The Crusaders capitalized on their first power play opportunity early in the second period. 6:37 into the second period sophomore Matt Vidal (Manorville, N.Y.) passed the puck out to senior Mark Williamson (Centennial, Colo.). Williamson then sent the puck to sophomore Jake Bolton (Ellington, Conn.) just inside of the blue line. Bolton rocketed a shot that beat the Simon Fraser goaltender and brought the Crusaders ahead 4-1. Five minutes later, junior Mike McNamara (Chestnut Hill, Mass.) took the puck from the Crusader defensive zone and sent it up to sophomore Joe McNamara (Chestnut Hill, Mass.) in the neutral zone. Joe McNamara brought the puck up past the Simon Fraser blue line and passed it across to senior assistant captain Shayne Stockton (Rochester, N.Y.) who scored to bring the Crusaders up 5-1. Four minutes later, at 15:01, Mike McNamara gave the puck to Williamson. Williamson shot the puck from the face-off circle, but Gordon made a save that sent the puck flying to the other face-off circle to a waiting Sommer. Sommer fired the puck past Gordon for his second goal of the game.

Simon Fraser came back in the third period with two goals. Their first came off of a shot by Jesse Mysiorek that was redirected in by Smerek. Simon Fraser's Aaron Enns came back for their second of the period and third of the game. With 0:47 left on the clock, freshman Nick Finn (Canton, Mass.) scored the final goal of the game from senior assistant captain Adam Schmidt (Warrington, Pa.) and junior Nilan Nagy (Canonsburg, Pa.) to finalize the score at 7-3.

Holy Cross outshot Simon Fraser 41-27 during the game. Goalies junior Matt Ginn (Lindsay, Ontario) and senior Derek Kump (Falmouth, Maine) split time in the net. Ginn recorded 15 saves during his 31 minutes in net, while Kump posted nine in his 29 minutes. The Crusaders went 1-for-4 on their power plays while Simon Fraser converted none of its three power plays.