Holy Cross Men's Hockey Defeats Bentley, 4-3

Erik Vos

Video: Postgame Interview With Erik Vos

WORCESTER, Mass. – Senior captain Erik Vos (Carlisle, Ontario) broke a 3-3 tie in the third period as the Holy Cross men's hockey team defeated Bentley, 4-3, at the Hart Center on Friday evening in Atlantic Hockey action. With the win, the Crusaders move to 5-2-0 overall (4-2-0 AHA), while the Falcons fall to 3-4-0 overall (2-2-0 AHA). This 5-2-0 record is the best start the Crusaders have had since the 2005-2006 season when they were also 5-2-0 after their first seven games. 

Just a minute and five seconds after the opening face-off, the Bentley Falcons capitalized on a rebounded shot off the boards to make the score 1-0. Andrew Gladiuk netted the Falcons first goal after teammate Kyle O'Brien's shot went wide of the net and rebounded back in front of the Crusaders' goal. A minute and 15 seconds later at the 2:50 mark of the game and on the power play, senior Kyle Fletcher (Kanata, Ontario) tied the game when he tipped a shot to the lower right side of the net. Fletcher's deflection was off of freshman Castan Sommer's (Shrewsbury, Mass.) shot from the point. Holy Cross increased its lead to 2-1 when senior assistant captain Rob Linsmayer (Winnetka, Ill.) scored a goal after skating by two Bentley defenders and sending a shot towards the lower left side of the net. Junior Adam Schmidt (Warrington, Pa.) tallied an assist off the play. Bentley outshot Holy Cross 10-8, while the Crusaders went 1-2 on the power play and the Falcons went 0-1.

The game remained a one-goal game in favor of the Crusaders with a 3-2 score at the conclusion of the second period, after both teams came out with one goal apiece. After Bentley turned the puck over in the Falcons' defensive zone, Fletcher recovered the puck and dished it to senior Brandon Nunn (Fairport, N.Y.) who finished the play with a goal from the left post at the 14:05 mark of the period. Gladiuk answered Nunn's goal with his second of the night a minute and 13 seconds later on a Falcon power play. Brett Gensler sent the puck to the lower right corner just outside the crease where Gladiuk waited and found the back of the net. Bentley outshot Holy Cross 10-8, and went 1-2 on the power play while the Crusaders went 0-2. 

In the third period, both teams again each scored a goal to wrap up the game with a one goal Crusader victory. After sophomore goalie Matt Ginn (Lindsay, Ontario) made the initial save off Alex Grieve's shot on goal, Justin Breton lifted the rebounded puck over Ginn's left pad to tie the game at 3-3 with 12:25 remaining in the game. 1:10 later, Vos netted what would serve to be the game winning goal on a power play. Vos stole the puck off a clear attempt from the Bentley goalie and scored off a slap shot from the blue line to an empty net. While the Crusaders led 4-3, the Falcons went with an empty net with 1:10 left in the game. As the clock winded down and the team's faced off in the Crusader defensive zone, the Falcons would try to even the score but came up short as the game ended with a final score of 4-3.

Ginn made 24 saves to improve to 5-1-0 while Bentley goalie Branden Komm made 21 saves. Bentley outshot Holy Cross 27-25, while the Crusaders went 2-6 on the power play and the Falcons went 1-3.

The Crusaders return to action on Sunday, Nov. 11, when they travel to Bridgeport, Conn., to take on Atlantic Hockey opponent Sacred Heart at the Webster Bank Arena at 12:00 p.m.