Fletcher's Third Period Game-Winner Gives Crusaders 2-1 Victory Over UConn

Kyle Fletcher

Click here to watch highlights from this game.

WORCESTER, Mass. – Senior Kyle Fletcher (Kanata, Ontario) scored the game-winner to break a 1-1 tie with 5:21 left in the third period as the Holy Cross men's hockey team defeated Connecticut, 2-1, on opening night at the Hart Center on Friday evening in Atlantic Hockey action. With the win, the Crusaders improve to 3-0-0 overall (2-0-0 AHA), while the Huskies fall to 0-2-0 overall (0-1-0 AHA). The Crusaders' 3-0-0 start to the season is their best since going 4-0-0 to begin the 2005-2006 season.

The Crusaders took a 1-0 lead when freshman Castan Sommer (Shrewsbury, Mass.) scored his first collegiate goal at 14:11 of the first period. After receiving a pass from senior Rob Linsmayer (Winnetka, Ill.), Sommer blasted a shot to upper right corner of the net. Freshman Karl Beckman (Okemos, Mich.) also had an assist for his first collegiate point. Holy Cross outshot UConn, 11-8, while the Huskies went 0-3 on the power play and the Crusaders went 0-1.

The Huskies tied the contest at 18:50 of the second period when Jordan Simms deflected a shot from Alex Gerke for his first goal of the season. UConn outshot Holy Cross by a 9-8 margin, while each team went 0-2 on the man-advantage.

Sophomore goalie Matt Ginn (Lindsay, Ontario) kept the scored tied when he made an outstanding save on a shot by Cody Sharib blocking the right side of the net with his pads at 10:54 of the third period. The Crusaders went on a 14 second two-man advantage power play at 14:24 as Fletcher scored the game-winner just as the Huskies were returning their first player. Fletcher fired in a loose puck from in front of the net for his second goal of the season and his fifth career-game winner. Senior captain Erik Vos (Carlisle, Ontario) and senior Brandon Nunn (Fairport, N.Y.) each posted assists. The Crusaders went on a power play with 1:40 left in the third period, but the Huskies were able to secure a face-off in Holy Cross' zone with just six seconds left. But UConn, who pulled its goalie to get an extra skater on the ice, was unable to get a shot off as the Crusaders earned the 2-1 victory.      

Ginn made 22 saves and improves to 3-0-0 on the season, while Garrett Bartus posted 34 saves. Holy Cross outshot UConn, 36-23, while the Crusaders went 1-7 on the power play and the Huskies went 0-6.

The Crusaders return to action when they play Atlantic Hockey opponent Army at the Hart Center on Saturday, Oct. 27, at 7:00 p.m.