Men's Hockey Defeated By UConn, 4-2

Brandon Nunn

STORRS, Conn. ­– With the contest tied at 2-2, Billy Latta scored the game-winner for the Huskies at 8:12 of the third period as the Holy Cross men's hockey team fell to Connecticut, 4-2, at the Freitas Ice Forum on Thursday night in Atlantic Hockey action. With the loss, the Crusaders fall to 2-2-0 overall (1-1-0 Atlantic Hockey), while the Huskies improve to 3-2-1 overall (2-0-0 Atlantic Hockey).

The Huskies took a 1-0 lead when Brant Harris scored a power play goal at 15:42 of the first period. Latta sent a pass from behind the goal to Harris who then knocked the puck to the left side of the net. Just 1:12 later, the Crusaders tied the game when sophomore Adam Schmidt (Warrington, Pa.) netted his team-best fourth goal of the season when he fired the puck past UConn goalie Garrett Bartus. Freshman Jake Youso (International Falls, Minn.) and senior Matthew Davis (Lancaster, N.Y.) each notched assists. The assist was Youso's first collegiate point as this was also his first game. Schmidt has recorded at least one point in all four contests so far this season. The Crusaders went 0-1 on the power play, while the Huskies went 1-2. Holy Cross outshot UConn, 4-3.

At 5:01 of the second period, the Huskies took a 2-1 lead with a goal by Cody Sharib. For the second time the Crusaders answered quickly with a goal to tie the contest at 2-2 just 52 seconds later. Junior Rob Linsmayer (Winnetka Ill.) sent a crossing pass to junior Brandon Nunn (Fairport, N.Y.) who tipped the puck to the lower left side of the net for his first goal of the season. Senior Andrew Cox (Lombardy, Ontario) also posted an assist. The Huskies almost took the lead on the power play at 14:15 when Alex Gerke fired a puck that was heading to an open left side of the net, but Holy Cross freshman goalie Matt Ginn (Lindsay, Ontario) made an outstanding sliding save to keep the game tied at 2-2. The Crusaders went 0-1 on the man-advantage, while the Huskies went 0-2. Holy Cross outshot UConn by an 11-9 margin.

Latta stole the puck just outside the Crusader blue line and then sent a shot past Ginn to give the Huskies a 3-2 lead at 8:12 of the third period. The Crusaders would go with an empty net with 1:21 left, but Cole Schneider was able to find the back of the net with 44 seconds remaining for the 4-2 final score.           

Ginn made 18 saves and is now 2-2-0 on the season, while Bartus made 26 saves and is 3-2-1. The Crusaders went 0-2 on the power play, while the Huskies went 1-4. Holy Cross outshot UConn, 28-22.  

The Crusaders return to action when they play at Atlantic Hockey opponent Niagara at Dwyer Arena at 7:00 p.m., on Friday and Saturday, Nov. 4-5.