Crusaders Fall To Air Force, 4-3, In Overtime

Ryan Driscoll

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - The Falcons' Tim Kirby scored the game-winner with only 0.6 seconds left in overtime as the Holy Cross men's hockey team fell to Air Force, 4-3, in Atlantic Hockey action at the Cadet Ice Arena on Saturday evening. With the loss, the Crusaders fall to 6-14-5 overall (5-10-4 Atlantic Hockey), while the Falcons improve to 12-9-5 (12-5-5 Atlantic Hockey). Holy Cross, who defeated Air Force on Friday by a 6-4 score, earned two points over the two-game series. The Falcons win the four-game regular season series, 2-1-1. Senior Ryan Driscoll (Dorchester, Mass.) and sophomore Andrew Cox (Lombardy, Ontario) each posted one goal and one assist for the Crusaders.

The Crusaders jumped out to a 1-0 lead at 4:37 of the first period when Cox stole the puck at center ice and then found a streaking Driscoll, who then buried the puck in the upper left corner of the net for his first goal of the season. For the period, Holy Cross outshot Air Force, 7-6, while the Crusaders went 0-2 on the power play and the Falcons went 0-3 including Holy Cross killing an Air Force two-man-advantage power play.

Holy Cross increased its lead to 2-0 at 2:45 of the second period when Driscoll sent a pass from behind the net to a waiting Cox who was right in front of the goal, as he then fired the puck past Air Force goalie Andrew Volkening for his first goal of the season. Junior Matt Celin (Gibsonia, Pa.) also assisted on the goal. The Falcons made it a 2-1 contest at 7:01 when Derrick Burnett scored on a wrist shot. Air Force then tied the game at 2-2 at 17:10 with a power play goal as Jacques Lamoureux tipped in a shot by Scott Mathis. Holy Cross answered with a goal by senior Rob Forshner (Sundre, Alberta) with just 34 seconds left in the period to move out to a 3-2 lead. The goal was his fourth of the season. Sophomore Luke Miller (Andover, Mass.) earned an assist. The Falcons outshot the Crusaders by an 11-9 margin, while Air Force went 1-2 on the man-advantage.

At 8:17 of the third period, the Crusaders went on a two-man-advantage power play for 56 seconds but were unable to find the back of the net. While on the power play, the Falcons tied the game at 3-3 at 13:35 when Lamoureux sent a crossing pass to Matt Fairchild who then knocked the puck past Holy Cross freshman goalie Thomas Tysowsky (Amherst, N.Y.). With 2:02 left in regulation Air Force went on a power play, but Holy Cross was able to prevent the Falcons from scoring as the game went to overtime. Kirby's game-winner with 0.6 seconds left came on a slap shot.

Tysowsky stopped 24 shots and is 6-12-5, while Volkening made 33 saves and improves to 12-9-5. The Crusaders went 0-5 on the power play and the Falcons went 2-7, while the Crusaders outshot the Falcons, 36-28.

After a week off from games, the Crusaders will return to action on Feb. 5-6, when they play two home contests versus Atlantic Hockey opponent Army at the Hart Center at 7:00 p.m. These are the only two regular season games between the two teams this season.