March 13, 2012
Men's Golf Begins Spring Competition At George Washington Invite
Scoreboard: No scheduled events.
Schedule: Friday-Saturday, March 16-17, at George Washington Invitational, Bethany Beach, Del.
- The Holy Cross men's golf team returns to the green on March 16-17, participating in the George Washington Invitational. The event will be played at the Bear Trap Dunes Golf Club in Ocean View, Del. Tee times are set for 8:00 a.m. each day.
- The Crusaders have opened up the spring portion of their schedule at the George Washington Invitational the previous three years. The squad earned its best team finish last season, placing fourth out of nine squads. In 2010, the team finished 11th and 19th in 2009. Junior Steve Zychowski (Mendham, N.J.) tallied a top-10 individual performance, placing fifth overall.
- Zychowski finished the fall portion of the season on a high note as he was named the Patriot League Golfer of the Month for October. Zychowski capped a strong fall season by winning the 34-team NEIGA Championship on Oct. 17-18 with a two-over par score of 146 (71-75). It was his first career individual medal and helped the Crusaders to a fourth-place finish in the field.
- Senior Andrew Wong (Wailuku, Hawaii) finished first on the team for the first time in his career this fall. He tied for second at the Assumption Shootout, helping the team take home the team crown. His round of 74 just missed his career-best round of 73, which he posted at the Hartford Invitational this season.
- Freshman Peter Cahill (Wellesley, Mass.) emerged as one of the team's top performers late in the fall. He played in the last five rounds with the team and shot a season-best round of 74 at the Assumption Shootout, tying Wong for second place. He completed the fall season with a 78.2 strokes average.